How long should you keep tires - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How long should you keep tires

Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL View Post
I have never heard of having to replace your tires due to age. If they are wearing ok and not at the wear bars, and no dry rot cracks, you should be ok.
I was in the same boat as you. That is, until the tire shop told me on my old car, that the tires were pushing 7yrs old.

They were still good and not cracking/rotting, so I kept them. Those tires were never put to any sort of stresses that spirited driving does and based on that additional factor, I decided to keep them.

If I were doing some spirited driving on them, I would have changed the, Hell, they would have been worn down bald way long before.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Man oh man. Cannot believe you guys. I know some you are trying to save a little cash wherever you can; but, please, tires are not where you should skimp.

Look at the palm of your hand. Four contact patches this size is what accelerates, brakes and turns your 3000 to 4000 pound piece of Iron. What is your life worth?

After 5 years from manufactured date, the rubber has deteriorated and harden, just sitting there. Driven or not. Now you have almost zilch stopping power or emergency steering control compared as when new.

Always purchase the best tires you can afford before purchasing other parts.

Cheers.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I never knew tires were suppose to be changed after 5 years. I guess you do learn something new everyday
Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

"Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

I notice the decreased ride quality and grip on old hardened tires...
Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt View Post
Man oh man. Cannot believe you guys. I know some you are trying to save a little cash wherever you can; but, please, tires are not where you should skimp.

Look at the palm of your hand. Four contact patches this size is what accelerates, brakes and turns your 3000 to 4000 pound piece of Iron. What is your life worth?

After 5 years from manufactured date, the rubber has deteriorated and harden, just sitting there. Driven or not. Now you have almost zilch stopping power or emergency steering control compared as when new.

Always purchase the best tires you can afford before purchasing other parts.

Cheers.
I'd concur with you. I always go for the best tires, brakes and shocks I can afford. My tires usually fail the penny test before 5 years though. With the exception of the tires on Missus Potters car. They are going on 6 years now and have lots of tread left. She's only put 40K on them.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timothyrw View Post
"Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138
Hope I have the 10 year ones.