Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

BBS Boss 302R rims with Toyo Proxes R888 tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Default BBS Boss 302R rims with Toyo Proxes R888 tires

I am really thinking about getting the BBS Boss 302R rims with the Toyo Proxes R888 tires and I had a few questions from anyone who might be using this set up on their car. I heard there are some shops that sell this combo's in "take offs" and I wanted to know what that really means? Is it a good way to buy a set of track only tires and rims if I am going to keep my 19 with the stock tire?

I was going to order it in the 275/40ZR18 all the way around with the 3.73 gears in the 2010 auto. Can you give me any feedback and do some of you also use these tires as a daily driver (I work very close) and how do they handle in the rain? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Typically "Take Off" means its a slightly used part. You usually see the term applied to the stock parts that are removed from a new car by tuner shops doing customizations.

Those are very nice rims, too nice for track work...LOL. Personally I'd getting something cheaper I didn't mind messing up. But if you have the coin, go for it. Make sure to verify they will clear a 14" BBK, just in case you want to upgrade your brakes in the future.

Regarding the 888s: I've never driven on them so what I know is 2nd hand. I'm at race tracks a lot and I've talked with numerous guys running the 888s and I have to say they are the most polarizing tire - guys either love them or hate them. They seem to be really fussy about tire pressure, you have to get it just right and they like a higher pressure than most R-comps. I've stayed away from them because of the controversy and stuck with tried and true choices like NT01 and Hoosiers. If you want a track tire for the street check out the Nitto 555RII. If you want a street tire for the track check out the NT05.

One more thing - dont know your experience level, but if you have never had R-Comps before there are a few things to be aware of. They wear out fast and thus doing much street driving is not a good plan. None of them are stellar in rain, a little wet is ok but not rain. They throw every pebble up onto the side of your car, so lots of street driving can sandblast your flanks. New R-comps are crazy expensive and thats why I buy scrubs. I just bought a pair of Hoosier scrubs for 60 each, can't beat that!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Typically "Take Off" means its a slightly used part. You usually see the term applied to the stock parts that are removed from a new car by tuner shops doing customizations.

Those are very nice rims, too nice for track work...LOL. Personally I'd getting something cheaper I didn't mind messing up. But if you have the coin, go for it. Make sure to verify they will clear a 14" BBK, just in case you want to upgrade your brakes in the future.

Regarding the 888s: I've never driven on them so what I know is 2nd hand. I'm at race tracks a lot and I've talked with numerous guys running the 888s and I have to say they are the most polarizing tire - guys either love them or hate them. They seem to be really fussy about tire pressure, you have to get it just right and they like a higher pressure than most R-comps. I've stayed away from them because of the controversy and stuck with tried and true choices like NT01 and Hoosiers. If you want a track tire for the street check out the Nitto 555RII. If you want a street tire for the track check out the NT05.

One more thing - dont know your experience level, but if you have never had R-Comps before there are a few things to be aware of. They wear out fast and thus doing much street driving is not a good plan. None of them are stellar in rain, a little wet is ok but not rain. They throw every pebble up onto the side of your car, so lots of street driving can sandblast your flanks. New R-comps are crazy expensive and thats why I buy scrubs. I just bought a pair of Hoosier scrubs for 60 each, can't beat that!
You have given me some really great information and I think I am going to slow down and do a little more research before I purchase. I am going to look into some of the other tire options you mentioned. Well off to work and thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

How do you think these Boss 302 rims that were powder coated black would look on my black car? I am really loving them but I wanted some feedback.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I think they would look good..
Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

My 2 cents - They look fantastic on that Orange car. I have a black Corvette and I have a set of black rims (not nearly as nice as those however) and to be honest I don't like the black on black look. I actually bought an extra set of chrome rims cheap just because I like the look so much better. But...very subjective thing, if you like a 'blackout' look go for it.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

it's impossible for those wheels to not look great.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Those BBS wheels are awesome. I've considered buying a set many, many times but would strangle myself if I curbed one. The steeda ultralites I now run are just too easy to replace when I curb rash one parallel parking etc.

Now for a weekend/play car I'd definitely pick those up over any other wheel for the S197.

And black wheels look great on my alloy car. You shouldn't have shown me those .
Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I am on the fence about the blacked out look but I am not on the fence about the rims. They would be PERFECT for the Mustang and I am going to pull the trigger but need to ponder the stock color which would look great or the blacked out version of the same rim? I also need to make sure some of the different brake options I am considering would work with that rim. If I am going to order them new I think I am going to see if they could make the rim 10.5 instead of 10 too so I can put a little wider tread on them.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

IMO, the anthracite/dark gray version would look better on your black car. The new GT500's dark gray wheels look great on the black car and they're the same shade of gray. And a 10'' wheel is plenty wide enough.

Now that I look at them again, they are a lighter gray and not dark/anthracite color. I still think that would look better on a black car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

$2550 shipped. ~$640 per wheel. Not cheap but not bad considering the weight and quality.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 09-01-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: BBS Boss 302R rims with Toyo Proxes R888 tires