Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

tires for auto cross

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default tires for auto cross

hey guys.
so once my suspension comes in, im gonna be running in street prepared in auto cross, and was curious what tires i should get? im gonna get some auto-x specific tires for my old stock rims so i can stop killing my expensive nittos lol. any suggestions on types of tires? again these are gonna be for auto-x only so they dont have to be all season or anything like that
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

You can get some even more expensive Hoosier A6s to burn up.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea but are those a6s more road racing type tires? i was looking at them but damn theyre expensive lol. is that what you ran?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Kumho V710.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The A6 is the "it" tire in autocross, especially in a class like ESP. It also happens to be the tire of choice in many classes of club racing. If you are seeking min times, it is the obvious choice.

On the other hand, they are very expensive and don't last long. Not so much that you will wear out the tread but rather that they loose grip with successive heat cycles.

Depending on the club you run with, it is unlikely you will be competitive in ESP anyway, not without considerable prep at least. Thus A6's are probably not your best choice if you have concerns about the cost. All R-comps are expensive and if cost is a concern you may want to look at the tires they run in the Street Tire classes.

I've done a good bit of AX but I'm more into track events and not up on the latest and greatest tires used in the street tire classes. Others on this forum are more knowledgeable than me, maybe they will contribute here. I do know that the NT05 sees a lot of use as does the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec. HTH.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

awesome thanks! and yea im not really trying to win the class, more just looking for what tires i want to get when i run down the ones i have on my old stock rims. thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Check to see if your region runs a "Street Tire Index" or something similar. Basically how this works (for my region at least) is that anyone who is running street tires (140 treadwear or greater for us) in a class that allows R-comps can run in the street tire index. This includes Stock, Street Prepared, Street Modified, etc. (Any class that's not an ST class). We just do this by adding a "T" to the end of the class designation. For example, I run in ESPT (E Street Prepared Tire). At the end of the day the SCCA PAX index is used to compare your times to the other people in the Tire Index class and that's how they determine the winner. This allows people who don't want to buy R-comps to have a class where they can be moderately competitive.

Street tires that are sticky include Dunlop Direzza Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11, and theoretically Yokohama AD08. These aren't a whole lot cheaper than Hoosier A6's but they should last a good bit longer. I chose to try the RE-11's this year so we'll see how I like them for autocross and for daily driving. Hopefully I at least get a summer out of them.

If your local club doesn't have a street tire class, suggest it! It's been one of the more heavily populated classes in our region and it's great for getting newer people into a somewhat fair class. At least they don't get stomped on by guys on R-compounds all day.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

hmm thats interesting. never heard of that before and i know my regions dont do that class. i might suggest that! thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

If we can get Sam to chime in here, he'd probably agree on the 710's with me. Especially if your car isn't running a lot of camber, the 710s are a LOT better than the A6's.

Plus, they are more forgiving to noobs.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
If we can get Sam to chime in here, he'd probably agree on the 710's with me. Especially if your car isn't running a lot of camber, the 710s are a LOT better than the A6's.

Plus, they are more forgiving to noobs.
Not trying to call you out but I'm curious how you have come to this opinion? Sam races on the A6 as do most national level competitors.

Quick Reply: tires for auto cross