Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

07 Mustang GT Handles "funny"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Ruegy

Default 07 Mustang GT Handles "funny"

I recently got a 2007 Mustang GT and it feels like it "slides" when im any road that isnt perfectly smooth. Even on smooth roads it feels "loose". Is this typical of the s197 mustangs (or mustangs in general) or is there a problem somewhere with my suspension?

I'm not really too knowledgable when it comes to cars so its a bit hard for me to know whats going on. On a strait road I can let go of the steering wheel and and it will NOT drift left or right.

Any help is appreciated, if pictures are needed I can get them in the morning.

Andrew
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you are describing tramlining to me. What size tires do you have and how worn are they?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Ruegy

I'm currently using 235/50/ZR18 all around on 18" Black Deep Dish Bullitt wheels. Not really sure how to describe how warn they are (yes I'm that "newbish" with cars) but they look fairly worn to me.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruegy
I'm currently using 235/50/ZR18 all around on 18" Black Deep Dish Bullitt wheels. Not really sure how to describe how warn they are (yes I'm that "newbish" with cars) but they look fairly worn to me.
Do you know how to do the penny test?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Is the wear reasonably even all the way across the tread or is one (or both) shoulders on any of them worn significantly more than the center? A tire that isn't flat across the tread is going to naturally not want to roll straight.

Are the wheels OE Ford or are they aftermarket? If aftermarket, what is the rest of the size information (width and either offset or backspacing)? "Deep dish" suggests non-OE and can contribute to what you describe. Setting a little more toe-in can sometimes help.

If it's "twitchy", think in terms of alignment, mainly toe.

Give yourself a little "seat time" in the car before "fixing" anything other than uneven tire wear, as the initial cornering response of this chassis is probably better than what you're either used to or expecting.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-16-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Do the penny test. Take a penny and measure the tire tread by putting the penny in the groove of the tire and do it on each side and mark it and you'll know right away what's wearing or not. I have an 07 gt and i have a little sliding from the tires but that's expected when you drive like i do and yes i need to get new tires soon lol. But the overall handling of the gt is great i think but you could always get your suspension looked at for fairly cheap if you look around. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Ruegy

Originally Posted by 4LiterSonic
Do you know how to do the penny test?
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Is the wear reasonably even all the way across the tread or is one (or both) shoulders on any of them worn significantly more than the center? A tire that isn't flat across the tread is going to naturally not want to roll straight.

Are the wheels OE Ford or are they aftermarket? If aftermarket, what is the rest of the size information (width and either offset or backspacing)? "Deep dish" suggests non-OE and can contribute to what you describe. Setting a little more toe-in can sometimes help.

If it's "twitchy", think in terms of alignment, mainly toe.

Give yourself a little "seat time" in the car before "fixing" anything other than uneven tire wear, as the initial cornering response of this chassis is probably better than what you're either used to or expecting.

Norm
Did the "penny test" and it seems most of the wheels cover at least a bit of Lincoln's head...except the back passenger tire, which is extremely worn. Also the middle of ALL the tires seem to be slightly (like a fraction of a mm) more worn than the outer tread. The tires are BFGoodrich Geforce T/A KDWS...not sure if thats OE or not.

As for what I was expecting in the ride, my friend has an 07 GT as well and I've driven it several times. I don't remember it being so rough. Mind you, I drove a 1993 BMW 525i for almost 4 years and then a Chevy Cobalt for a week before I got this car.

Andrew

PS: Here are a few pictures.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Can't see the pics due to company internet filtering, but anyway, KDWS are the OE 18" tires. On 8.5" wide rims, which are the max recommended rim width for that size, they do respond to small steering inputs more than do many other tires on many other cars. IOW, you may be the cause of a lot of this due to overcorrecting for small steering movements you make (due to the ride stiffness, etc.) that didn't happen in the other cars. I noticed it when I first got my car brand new/built to order; but you do stop being so twitchy after a while. Until then, driving with one hand just makes this problem worse.

It sure sounds like the tires have been inflated more than necessary for the driving that they have mostly seen (how many psi?). And with a worn RR tire, somebody - either you or the previous owner - has been getting into wheelspin fairly often. I think especially when making right turns onto a main road from a dead stop.

That still leaves the matter of the wheels, which I still don't know whether they're OE Bullitts or aftermarket copies with a significantly different offset.

Norm
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I didn't feel tramlining on my OE 18" 235 BFG KDW's but I did with the 275's I replaced them with. The only other issue I had (and still have) is a bit of skewing going over certain bumps but I have the OE suspension and I've heard others mention that, too.

+1 what Norm said about your tire pressure. I experimented with the BFG's and didn't care for anything over 33 PSI. Have it aligned, too. Then go from there.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM
MrLatte

From your pictures, those are NOT OEM wheels. It would be interesting to know the offset and the width.

Quick Reply: 07 Mustang GT Handles "funny"