Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Saw a 2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

If you can get a Boss for MSRP, jump on that NOW!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Elsboo
1st Gear Member

Man is it just me...Its gotta be but the new "Boss" just doesnt do anything for me. I was around when Parnelli was winnin races too and am a BIG fan of that car...a freind of mine owned one....the new car looks like a Hot Wheels version of the 5.0
Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

^^ +1000000000

Hopefully Ford gets it's act together and does the Boss right in 2013.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Curious what you don't like about the Boss. Hot Wheels? are you talking about the stripe package? The same stripes that were on the original? Or did you want more performance? How would you suggest "Ford gets it's act together and (do) the Boss right"? Just curious because I think Ford did a pretty damned good job on it.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

^funny isn't it? This from a guy that put the same front end as the boss on his sixxer not to mention boss stripes. Yet he's complaining about the new boss doesn't do anything for him lol kinda ironic
Anyone see that vid where the boss was on the dyno? Looks like their about 35hp or so underrated
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My heart says I would love a Boss 302 LS as I am one of those old enough to have watched the originals run at Mosport.

But considering they are listing for $58,349 in Canada if I was doing it again today I would get a GT with Brembos and then upgrade springs/shocks/sway bars and add a Watt's link. The money saved would cover lots of track time and the car would probably lap about the same as the Boss.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
The BOSS 302 has a new, redesigned intake manifold. In fact you can buy it on latemodelrestoration.com. That and the tune gives you the extra 40 hp.
It's NOT just the manifold and the tune. Half of the engine is revised, including the valvetrain and the lower end.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Yes, somebody else already corrected me on that. From what I've read, except for the CNC porting on the cylinder head intake and exhaust ports, most of the other improvements were implemented to allow the Boss engine to reliably rev to 7,500 rpm. Biggest increase in power was the result of the intake, so I stand by my assertion that if you do the Boss intake with a tune, you'll be pretty darn close to the performance of the Boss engine up to redline.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I'm kind of with Sleep on this. Part of me is drawn to "the club" of exclusivity, the "genuine Boss owner's club." But then I think about taking them down on the track. You can do that for less than the club dues required for the genuine article.

FWIW, I saw a Laguna Seca package at the Chicago Auto Show a few weeks ago. Cool car (though I'm not a fan of the graphics scheme). One thing that greatly disappointed me was the front splitter. It's a plastic thingy that flexed easily with a mild amount of hand pressure. At the point in between the two splitter struts it felt solid, but outside of that it began to give. I had my son (4 years old) press down on it too - it flexed a lot and he wasn't even trying hard. Not the serious piece I was hoping for from the LC package. Bummer.

-j
Old 03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Elsboo
1st Gear Member

Yeah....the graphics pack is over the top for me.... I like the stripes. The black with the red wheels just looks weird to me but hey I'm old.....I liked the red prototype car...the one they were testing when it aired on speed.....old school I guess but looked right to me.

Quick Reply: Saw a 2012 Boss 302