Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Cost to lower 1"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree with Norm...
$150 for an alignment is a rape.
Going rate in most State is $59 for a 4 wheel job.

Also, on these cars, there's no need to use a spring compressor as there is very little load on the spring once it's off the car.
I use 2 big tie wraps on each side of the spring if I'm by myself (or the weight of the lift) to keep things together.
You don't want to drop any of the little ball bearings.
If I have help, one guy just need to push down with both hands while the other undo the nut.
When putting back a new lowering spring, there will be enough threads sticking out the mounting plate, so that eliminates the need to compress the spring.

Last edited by pascal; 02-23-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks guys, if anyone is in the bay area and wants to help me, there's beer in it for you!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I could remove and replace those parts three times in five hours...without a lift and airtools! If you're going to take it somewhere, hunt down a specialty shop that does performance work on mustangs and know what it entails. If they throw a ballpark number out there like 5 hours labor (and I agree with Norm, $150 for a front end alignment is absurd) tell them thanks and go someplace else. There should be plenty of mustang specialty or dedicated suspension shops in CA.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, thats what I wanna hear.

$100 an hour isn't so bad around here, but I didn't know if 5 hours was reasonable. It sounds like it isn't.

I'm looking for other shops, but its hard without references.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by angryBits
Considering the parts I listed above cost me about $800, would it be worth it to just get coilovers so I can pick exactly what height I want to run my car?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...t-S-Coil-Overs
Be careful with coilovers. While it's nice to have the ability to adjust height and corner weights most of the setups have excessively high spring rates and limited availability of lower (i.e. street) rate springs. If I went with a coilover setup for the street I'd look at steeda's offering which utilize standard hyperco springs in assorted rates of 150 up to 600#.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys, thats what I wanna hear.

$100 an hour isn't so bad around here, but I didn't know if 5 hours was reasonable. It sounds like it isn't.

I'm looking for other shops, but its hard without references.
See if there are any local mustang clubs/forums in your area. We have central texas stangs here in centex. Those guys will be able to point you to some trusted shops in the area.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

I googled Pro Street S spring rate and found this: http://performance-suspension.eibach...cted_language=

It's for the Camaro but probably the same.
it says 160-228lbs in front and 228-445lbs in rear.

Sounds decent.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I googled Pro Street S spring rate and found this: http://performance-suspension.eibach...cted_language=

It's for the Camaro but probably the same.
No, they won't be.

The fronts are sort of in the same range, but the rears are definitely going to be different. The reason is that the motion ratio for an independent suspension is somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4, so the IRS spring ends up being anywhere from two to four times as stiff as a S197 just to give a similar ride.

There is a spring chart in a thread somewhere in this section. Even if it isn't "perfect", it'll at least give you an idea where the spring rates fall.

Incidentally, the OE rubber control arm bushings actually contribute some "wheel rate".

Norm
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
There is a spring chart in a thread somewhere in this section. Even if it isn't "perfect", it'll at least give you an idea where the spring rates fall.

Norm
You mean this one?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-allowed.html
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

I see. This thread has been very informative!

So what spring rate should I be shooting for, front/rear?

The higher the spring rate, the more stiff the suspension will be and potentially more bouncey and probably more NVH?

So whats the street-rate --> track-rate range for a 2011 Mustang GT for front to rear?

I really appreciate the help!

Last edited by angryBits; 02-23-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost to lower 1"