Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Mutilated

Default Suspension Upgrade Question

My 05' V6 suspension is completely stock at the moment but I have a friend with extra parts from his GT/CS he doesn't need since he upgraded. I believe I read somewhere that the V6 and GT share the same suspension but what about the GT/CS? Does it have a drop or stiffer suspension and if so can I put it on my V6 without problem? I believe he has the shocks, springs, and swear bars. I just want to know if it would be worth my while.

Also, he has a GT550 strut bar. Will that fit on my car?

Thanks guys, I appreicate any helpful information you have.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Haven't been on this forum for some time, so bear with me. I think if you do a search you're going to find a lot of good info on V6-GT swaps. They do not have the same suspension components, although the same basic architecture is carried across all models in the line up. So stuff is going to all swap over pretty readily.

The GT has (at min.) stiffer springs and larger sway bars (but not the same "swear bars" - that's where foul-mouthed individuals go to get a beer...). Not really sure if the Cali-package stuff offers much beyond that.

Since you have a 2005, you may also be getting better shocks just in virtue of upgrading to a.) newer components w/poss. less wear and tear and b.) factory upgrades. Others would know for sure, but I thought I recall hearing that shocks got upgraded in the later years of production...could be way off on that, but maybe? Even if they were, I don't think they'd be hugely better than the first stuff put on the `05s.

Not sure what a GT550 strut bar is (GT500 maybe?), but any strut bar that will fit a stock S197 Mustang should fit fine if you don't have an altered intake or supercharger.

Best,
-j
Old 02-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Mutilated

lol sorry for all the errors... I should go back and read what I write before I post it.

Thanks for the information. My mustang really doesn't have much wear and tear (only has 42k miles on it. If the gt upgrade is even remotely better though it will be worth my while. My friend said he just has it lying around and would only charge me the cost of shipping for all of it. Just wanted to make sure it was worth my while to put the time and effort to change everything out.

Thanks again, I appreicate the info.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mutilated
lol sorry for all the errors... I should go back and read what I write before I post it.

Thanks again, I appreicate the info.
Yeah man, you, me, and everyone else on the web...

I still think you should snoop around here and see what others have experienced. Check out the V6 S197 General Discussion and do a search there. I bet you pull up a bunch of stuff.

Best,
-j
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Maybe there is something useful for you in this stickied thread???

Norm
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

The Front Springs might actually raise the front end between a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, depending on miles on yours VS his.
This is going by the Vogtland Lowering springs I have for my car, they lower the front 1.2 inches on the GT and .8 on the V6. The front of the GT is around 120 pounds heavier than the V6.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I got the pony package with my 6, and after testing the regular v6 and the GT, it feels like a happy medium. Although the changes aren't huge, it helps w/ the body roll a lot, and the GT was just a little too stiff for me (coming from a camry here) and my gut felt every pothole IMO. Its just my personal experience.

I would imagine the PP suspension would be a little easier to put on (less parts to swap) and test out to see if you are content with that first before going from one extreme to another?

OH and welcome to the forum! =D
Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Mutilated

Originally Posted by Siber Express
The Front Springs might actually raise the front end between a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, depending on miles on yours VS his.
This is going by the Vogtland Lowering springs I have for my car, they lower the front 1.2 inches on the GT and .8 on the V6. The front of the GT is around 120 pounds heavier than the V6.
Ok thanks for the info. I didn't take the weight difference into consideration. I might just save up and buy springs and shocks specifically for the V6 in that case. As for the sway bars and anything else he might have to give me, I think I'll go ahead and put those on. I would love to tighten up the suspension on the car a bit.

aaquib1992, I really don't mind the tight suspension but thanks for the info man. Also thanks for the welcome.