Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wheel and Tire Dimensions - ? -

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Default Wheel and Tire Dimensions - ? -

I am going to be purchasing my car here soon and I am curious as to what is the widest wheel (with offset) you can run on the brembo package without rubbing or fender rolling. Front and Rear.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

You are runnin Brembos out back too?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Factory Setup.. not sure if I like the wheels that come with it and I usually have a second set for track wheels so wondering whats the widest I can go without rubbing...
Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

The Brembos are a fitment issue unto themselves. I don't think they have any impact on the widest wheel/tire combo you can expect to run. That is, the answer is going to be the same for a standard and Brembo equipped car; the only difference being which wheel design (i.e. spokes) will clear the big calipers.

I'm sure you can find folks who've really pushed the envelope, but I think a common "max" size wheel is 18x10" +40mm offset with 285 tires on all four corners. Out back you may be able to stick on something a bit wider, but if you're looking to stay square then that's a good estimate on the large end of the spectrum.

Plenty of guys (like myself) are running 18x9.5" +35mm offset and 275/40(or 35)-18 tires. They fit pretty flush and don't rub. Camber doesn't need to be way past spec either, and if you're at the high end of the factory spec you can easily get away with a 1" drop as well.

Hope that helps.

Best,
-j
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Yeah it does alot. I like to get my info from more than one source.. which is why I am always on a board before I purchase. I def plan on lowering it to eat the gap but more importantly increase performance. I have seen a few cars on the FRPP 1.5 and I guess 2.0 drops and they look great. How they handle is beyond me but Im willing to go through a few sets of springs and shocks to find what I like...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My suggestion...before going through sets of springs and shocks. Get some coilovers if you plan to play. Too low and you're bouncing off the stops, too high and you're disturbed by fender gap (if you're disturbed by those kind of things). Getting realigned every time you play around will eat your lunch. Get the coilovers, find your sweet spot, get everything aligned and move on to other mods.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:23 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

I have no interest in coilovers at this point in time. And if I did decide to track it then it would get the same treatment as my Evo ... Remote Resevoir Eibachs and custom plates. This is going to be 99% DD and just want to be able to mess with it when I feel like it. I live on one end of a very long (15-20 mile) canyon and my job (when stateside) is on the other end so there are days to play.

I was looking at the BMR Susp Kit (stage 1) and other than I dont know what the drop looks like, the kit overall looks fairly solid. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I haven't personally run the BMR springs but many have and I've never heard anyone say a negative thing about them. In most of the responses the owner is thrilled with them. Some say they are low and too light of a spring rate for that amount of drop but everyone seems to be very happy with them. Their rate is near stock. I'd actually like to give them a try myself.

I've run the entire gamut of Steeda (sport/comp/ultralite) along with H&R (race/sport) and Roush (blue/street) springs and settled on the steeda sports. If I didn't run that many sets of springs I would probably be too curious and not as happy as I am now with the steeda sports. I had to see for myself. Springs are quite easily resold here in the classifieds or on ebay so I was able to reclaim some of the cost of experimentation and swapping them in/out became something I could do in my sleep. Getting the car realigned each time was the most expensive thing.

I'm personally not fond of progressive rate springs like the H&R's or Roush. They both had a bit more bounce due to the progressive nature and I prefer a solid linear travel and ride. The BMR's are progressive springs but folks seem to be happy with them.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Well I think that Ill order the BMR kit and if I dont like them then I can order the Sports and swap just the springs. The deal with the BMR kit seems pretty good in my book and like I said I am not at the point where I want coilovers.. As soon as I put C/O on it, then I will go to the track to try them out and the worms will start emerging from there...
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

I did just realize that the Wheels I have on my Evo are 18x9.5 +35 so I may have to try those out and then replace the Evo wheels.. And they have like 20 miles on em so they are brand new... hmmm

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tire Dimensions - ? -