Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New springs that lower rear but not the front???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

Default New springs that lower rear but not the front???

I know there are tons of threads that talk about springs, but I couldnt find what I was looking for...

I like the ride height in the front, but want to lower the back by 3/4 inch so that the gaps around the wheels are consistent. I have 20" Shelby Razors with Yokohama S-Drives in 275/35/30.

Idealy I would like a matched set of springs so the handling is optimized. I wasnt sure if it was okay to mix the Roush springs (which say they drop the rear 3/4 inch) with the factory fronts.

Ideally I want to replace the dampers, lower control arms and sways, but I need to handle it one mod at a time.

Stage 1...springs and adjustable panhard bar
Stage 2...lower control arms and dampers
Stage 3...????????

I look forward to advice...I know that most peole like them lowered, but I am really fussy about the look of my car. I sized the wheels to get the outer circumference of the wheels to match that of the wheel arches. Now I just need to lower the rear about 3/4 inch to make it just right.

Thanks

Jake
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
JimC

I used to run the Roush springs on the rear, and a friend has been doing the same for years on his Mustang. I didn't see any negative effect on handling. It dropped my convertible a little over an inch.

I switched to the Ford Racing springs in the fall. The still dropped the rear of the convertible about an inch and again no negative effect on handling with the stock front springs still in place. Of course, I did change the shocks and struts to the FRPP set at the same time so it isn't a exact comparison to the stock shocks and struts with the Roush rear springs.

I think that the car looks a lot more level now.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jake1.11
I know there are tons of threads that talk about springs, but I couldnt find what I was looking for...

I like the ride height in the front, but want to lower the back by 3/4 inch so that the gaps around the wheels are consistent. I have 20" Shelby Razors with Yokohama S-Drives in 275/35/30.

Idealy I would like a matched set of springs so the handling is optimized. I wasnt sure if it was okay to mix the Roush springs (which say they drop the rear 3/4 inch) with the factory fronts.

Ideally I want to replace the dampers, lower control arms and sways, but I need to handle it one mod at a time.

Stage 1...springs and adjustable panhard bar
Stage 2...lower control arms and dampers
Stage 3...????????

I look forward to advice...I know that most peole like them lowered, but I am really fussy about the look of my car. I sized the wheels to get the outer circumference of the wheels to match that of the wheel arches. Now I just need to lower the rear about 3/4 inch to make it just right.

Thanks

Jake
I have been running the Roush rear srings on my 05 for about 4 years dropped the rear about 1". At that time I swapped out the the stock lca's and panhard bar/braces with CHE products. Ran that way just fine. The new lca's made a big difference in getting rid of any wheel hop. Fast forward to last spring. Deceided to replace the stock shock/struts. I went with Koni SRT_T setup and replaced the upper strut mounts with Ford GT500 ones,made all the difference in ride and handling. Car stays planted on lanchs and cornering has improved 1000%. I am very happy with this setup. By the way I'm running 18x10 Nitto 555's 295/45-18's in the rear and 255/45-18's on the front. With these 28" rear tires the rear of the car has a little rake but not much.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

So the consistent advice seems to be that it will work fine, but now im concerned about the back being lower than the front. I measured from the floor of my garage to the top center of the wheel arch and i only need 3/4 inch of drop...i know this may seem ridiculous but i want the look to be just right.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jake1.11
So the consistent advice seems to be that it will work fine, but now im concerned about the back being lower than the front. I measured from the floor of my garage to the top center of the wheel arch and i only need 3/4 inch of drop...i know this may seem ridiculous but i want the look to be just right.
Hmm wonder if you could use the Roush rear springs, and fabricate some sort of 1/4" spacer to go above or below the spring to keep the drop to only 3/4" ? Just an idea. If you come up with ine, please post it or pm me, I would like to get the same drop you're looking for. Don't know if there are any springs that are available that only drop the rear 3/4". Not heard of any....
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
MrLatte

Originally Posted by SilverHoss
Don't know if there are any springs that are available that only drop the rear 3/4". Not heard of any....
I believe the H&R OE Sport Springs lower the car 3/4".

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/