Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Building A Boss 302 LS Beater

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikelane
Sleeper
I have the Brembo pkg. What do you think your shopping list (excluding Roushcharger)would cost including labour? Just a rough figure of course, and do you think with the stock motor plus new exhaust and tune would the stang be as good a handler as a 996 turbo with pss9s? What is the cost of the Roushcharger? Would the Roushcharger make the stang a notch better than the 996 turbo?
As Argonaut said if you are passing 996's then either you have more horsepower or are a better driver.

The horsepower can be solved for about $6,099 list price. To get the 3 year warranty used to require that the installation be done by a Roush dealer. Check with them.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1556

For prices on the parts see Sam's web site. He is competitive and the advice he will provide is excellent.

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=35

Then it is a matter of track time, instruction and practice;

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic.../2/GyjKbifGGP4

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic.../1/TGfw46P-UqE
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The OP asked what it would take to make a normal 2011 GT beat the Boss. We already mentioned the horsepower, brakes and suspension but there are a couple other items I had forgotten about until now:

The boss comes with a upgraded clutch, more of a racing clutch than the GT. This isn't necessarily a performance mod but more a longevity mod. Then there is the oil cooler - more power = more heat = more cooling needed. Also there is an option for a Torsen LSD, which would seem like a no brainer to me. And, most important, it has some aero.

The Boss edition has a minor splitter and rear spoiler. Whether or not they add any downforce I have no idea. But the Laguna Seca edition has real aero that undoubtedly adds quite a bit of downforce. Depending on the track, aero can make a huge difference. On any track with lots of high speed corners the aero advantage will blow away a non-aero equiped GT regardless of any other mods (assuming same tires, driver, etc).

Here is an example for you: VIR is a big track. It has both long straight aways where a splitter and wing add significant drag (read - they slow you down) and very high speed corners where the aero advantage they provide is amazing. ST2 is a NASA class where a lot of lightly modded Corvettes run. At VIR the current ST2 track record is held by a guy with a big Kognition wing and splitter driving a 360RHP C5 Corvette. The time is an astounding 1:59 and some change. I'm here to tell you that is FAST. This car is underpowered and yet can turn a world class time...why? Well, in addition to being an outstanding driver its because he can go thru the uphill esses at 130MPH! Thats a full 20 to 30 MPH faster than a non-aero equiped C5 with more horsepower.

Last edited by Argonaut; 04-04-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
mikelane

With the boss being approx. 10k more than a gt with brembo pkg it seems not such a bad deal, but one of my main questions was whether you guys think a gt with the mods to make it run with the boss or a 996 turbo with just suspension is worth getting. Why not get the boss from the start or the 996 turbo if the idea is a partial daily driver and 6 track events a year. Thanks for all input guys!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Mike - correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are basically asking whats the best daily driver track car in the ~50K range:
- A modded up 2012 GT
- A stock 2012 Boss
- A used 996 turbo (I have no idea what they go for used...50k about right?)

Between the 2 Mustangs, personally I'd take the Boss. Not only do you have the exclusivity factor but that forged engine is mighty attractive and not easily duplicated (sure, you can add a super charger to the GT to have even more power, but you also add weight and heat with it).

Between the Boss and the 996 though - thats a tough one. They are such different cars its really hard to compare them. The Stang is bigger (which can be a good thing when hauling people and and cargo) and slightly heavier (which is never a good thing). It won't have the turbo kick nor the incredible handling. But it is very easy to drive fast and very confidence inspiring. Also the Stang is far cheaper to maintain and repair and their is a HUGE aftermarket if you choose to mod. Plus the looks on the faces of Corvette, Ferarri and Porsche drivers when you blow by them in your Mustang is priceless. I guess I'd go with the Boss for the daily driver/track car. But, if it was the other way around - more track car than daily driver, I'd get a little used C6Z at that price point and blow all of them away.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Plus the looks on the faces of Corvette, Ferarri and Porsche drivers when you blow by them in your Mustang is priceless.
This. Everyone underestimates what a mustang can do, its time people who spend too much money on their stock car to eat some humble pie, dished to them from a 40k car

Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

With the boss being approx. 10k more than a gt with brembo pkg it seems not such a bad deal,
i got to disagree, from a daily driver/occasional track car viewpoint.

i think you can get a 2011 at or near the performance of a boss 302 ls for easily half that.

argonaut makes a nice argument for the boss ls, but a lot of the mods it has (forged engine components, stronger clutch, nicer lsd, aero) are issues that i have not heard anyone on here complain about. no doubt, the boss ls is more stout then the gt, but the gt seems to be doing just fine except for the most hard core.

and if you are the most hard core, would you even leave a boss ls stock?

the boss ls was executed by ford slightly better then shelby gt was (not technically a ford product, i know), but ultimately they are for people who don't want to do the work themselves, which is fine. but i don't think either are a great starting off point for someone who is looking to modify their cars and get the most bang for their buck.

and if we are throwing used cars into the mix, why not a used gt500? get a 2007 with 500hp stock and a bullet-proof motor for $35k. yeah, a lot of weight on the nose, but that gives you a lot of left over cash for suspension, wheels/tires, and even more hp.

Last edited by timothyrw; 04-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

With the boss being approx. 10k more than a gt with brembo pkg it seems not such a bad deal, but one of my main questions was whether you guys think a gt with the mods to make it run with the boss or a 996 turbo with just suspension is worth getting. Why not get the boss from the start or the 996 turbo if the idea is a partial daily driver and 6 track events a year. Thanks for all input guys!
Mike - you look like you're local to me - I'm in Vancouver. I have most of the stuff on Sleeper's list. I tried to PM you but you're not "authorized" to get PM's yet apparently. We should talk...
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
mikelane

jaj
Would love to have a talk. I have a 2012 gt coming in next month, and not sure I made the right move. Need somebody to tell me I made the right call. Just sold my 97 993 porsche and was set to buy a 02 porsche turbo for about 50k cdn. I was a mustang guy in my teens having had a 67 fastback gta and a 67 notchback, so I have always had an affinity towards the mustang. I just joined the forum and maybe don't have enough posts yet, so you can email me at michael@michaellane.com I am on the North Shore