Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which springs fit best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Default Which springs fit best for me?

Background: 06 V6 coupe. We drive it mainly on the interstate or a rather hill curvy road. The car has zero mods done to it yet so nothing to consider there. In the future we are likely going to add 18" magnum 500s and new tires and a chin spoiler.

We would like to lower it some and get a bit better handling that goes along with the upgraded springs. We don't want to be dragging or knocking things off. I would say the kits that drop near 2" would be overkill so what intermediate lowering springs are considered the best? My neighbor with a 99-04 cobra(don't know exact year) recommended H&R.

The car will never see a drag strip nor will it see a track. I do drive it hard on the state roads but not track style driving.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

I have Vogtland springs....great handling and probably the best ride out of any aftermarket spring.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Definitely H&R springs, I have them on my 07 gt and it handles like a dream man. Handling is a great performance gain and makes the car look a lot more aggressive. You won't regret it.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I am happy with my Eibach Pro-kit springs. Springs lowered the car between 1.3 and 1.5 inches. I have no clearance issues with my front chin spoiler. The ride is a bit stiffer and have to watch out for large dips/pot holes on the road. The look is amazing and cornering is a lot better!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

I was surely hoping for a consensus here but I guess that won't happen.

Allinon, you made the biggest claim that they rode better than any aftermarket spring. So I have to ask. Have you made actual comparisons amongst the comparable aftermarket options or is that just your opinion? I'm not arguing just checking the options and when one makes claims I like to know what they are based on.

The Eibach Pro kit was my first inclination, but then my neighbor said the forums speak high of the H&R. So my options widened and now I see a third has entered.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I think the ball is in your court. Its up to you to go searching on the internet, on multiple mustang forums to research the different options out there, then decide on your own which option suits you best. If you just post a message and ask "what spring is the best for me?" you'll get multiple posters, all with different answers, which is what we have here.

With that said, I think you'll be happy with the Eibach pro-kit springs. Moderate drop, good ride, and will tighten up the handling decently.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The Steeda Sport springs are yet another alternative. About 1" & 1.3" lowering IIRC. Give Sam Strano (site sponsor) a call.

The car will never see a drag strip nor will it see a track. I do drive it hard on the state roads but not track style driving.
I'm guessing that means you'll be making "spirited" drives that are done at somewhat less than all-out, *****-to-the-wall hard? In that case, most any of the moderate lowering springs should be adequate. However, I strongly suggest replacing the struts and shocks with something better at the same time, particularly given the car's age and possible mileage.

You may or may not need (or even want) to adjust the alignment afterward. Assuming that you might, and given that your driving apparently tends toward being "enthusiastic" around corners, use camber plates or Steeda HD upper strut mounts. Don't for a moment consider using "camber bolts" to correct the alignment (in fact, forget that I even mentioned those things, and skip right over any mention that may come later).

If the handling "feel" still isn't quite where you want it, you can always add adjustable sta-bars later and tinker with the settings until you find out where you like them best.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-03-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
vnmous97

i have the complete roush kit and eibach pro kit for sale totaled my car 281 999 9969 J.R.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Somehow I knew everyone would say 'my springs are the best' . Whatever you go with, I'd highly recommend not dropping it more than 1.5''.