Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

UMI and Roto-Joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Default UMI and Roto-Joint

Was just browsing around on the UMI site when I noticed a little something that got my heart rate up a little bit.

I installed UMI upper and lower arms with Roto-Joints last summer. Since that time I have disassembled and re-assembled the rear end more times then I care to remember. One by one the Roto-Joints started working themselves loose. One by one they started to clunk. One by one I'd crawl under there and tighten them. Then rebuild them. UMI said yeah you can use some loctite on them if they loosen up. So I did, and they still loosened up.

Which brings me to the pic I found on their site where it looks like they changed the design of them to include a set screw that prevents the adjuster ring from backing out. Hmmm, why didn't they just use some loctite?

Oh yeah, 'cause it doesn't work.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yours didn't have the set screw? I bought mine a year ago and they came with it.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Yours didn't have the set screw? I bought mine a year ago and they came with it.
Whhhhaaatttt?! I went back and searched for an old post and it was March of last year.

I posted a pic back then and you can clearly see, no set screw! WTF?!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Wow, woke up today and already received a response from UMI. They are going to hook me up with updated Roto-Joints! Big thumbs up to these guys. That's customer service the way it was meant to be. Good products and good service.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Glad to see they are taking care of you. I've had good experiences with them as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

They updated them with a set screw last year. Early versions did not have one, all the current stuff does.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:36 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Thats great of UMI to do, thumbs up!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Received replacement Roto-Joints as promised. I can't wait to get these installed and be clunk free for longer than a few days. Not happy about having to tear the entire rear apart one more time, but at least I'm getting good at it! What I wouldn't give for a lift in the garage...
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
Received replacement Roto-Joints as promised. I can't wait to get these installed and be clunk free for longer than a few days. Not happy about having to tear the entire rear apart one more time, but at least I'm getting good at it! What I wouldn't give for a lift in the garage...

I second that! Besides the clunking are you happy with the UMI UCA/Mount? I am looking to get the same one when I swap my 8.8 in!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

It's a pretty simple part, just a bracket. Looks well made. The main reason I even upgraded mine was to avoid the issue with the different sized bolt holes on the OEM bracket and the clunk that can happen there when using an aftermarket upper arm. A bit of a pain to install though. Here's hoping that you only have to do yours once!

Quick Reply: UMI and Roto-Joint