Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shocks/Struts/Spring -- Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:37 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Shocks/Struts/Spring -- Please Help!

Hi Guys,

I've got a 2008 Mustang GT with 56k miles and I'm 99% sure at least one of my rear shocks is dead. It's making a nice squeak and I'm pretty sure it's not damping too much anymore.

I always felt that once I needed to replace anything on the suspension, I would do the Steeda Sport springs and Koni strut/shock combo that a lot of people are doing. Up until now I was dead set on the adjustable Koni "yellows", but I'm starting to wonder if they are worth the money. This is my daily driver, I have NEVER had the car on the track, and so I'm just wondering if the non-adjustable Konis will suit my needs (mixed driving, some fun in the twisties now and again, etc), or whether I'll be kicking myself for not having the option to adjust them.

It looks like if I'm going to do those things, then I should probably get some HD strut mounts, yes? The general consensus seems to be that for this setup, buying the expensive camber plates is not really needed, right? Also, it looks like a panhard bar is in order...?

Finally, and this is what concerns me the most: I live in Northern NJ, and I have really no idea where I would get this work done, other than JDM. I'm sure they do exceptional work, but from what I've found so far, they are very pricey, and I really don't think the stuff I need done is too advanced (but what do I know). Before anyone responds with, "So do it yourself then!", I simply do not have the place, nor the confidence to do it myself. This is the only car I have, and I can't afford to tear it apart in my community parking lot, screw something up, and then not be able to get to work. If I had a garage, or at least a second car, it might be a different story, but it is what it is.

So, I guess I am just asking for some thoughts on the above parts questions, and most-importantly, any experience of shops in Northern NJ that won't completely break the bank, but do honest work on these cars.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Bump...over 80 views and not one comment?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Sure, you can just go with Steeda Sports and STR.T dampers. Have them intalled and see if it can be aligned within spec and if you need an adjustable PH bar.

Can't help ya with New Jersey shops though.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
Bump...over 80 views and not one comment?
I looked twice, but didn't comment since I'm not in NJ, or even the US. I'm in the process of changing the suspension on my 2011 GT for track use, so I'm interested. FWIW, I'm going to use Steeda Sports, Koni yellows, and Steeda HD mounts.

My new, stock GT works pretty well on fast and slow racetracks, so I have to believe that for road use the STRs would be great. The standard '11 GT suspension is not great (poor spring control, and soft bushings), so I'm sure they'll be a big improvement over your current setup. IMHO, the stock spring rates are pretty close - the car's balance is pretty good at my pace. You might be fine with the stock springs and STRs. It won't look as good though.

I'm also using the Steeda HD strut mounts, but I'm not sure they will be an issue for street use. You could always upgrade later.