Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
papanther22

Default Front End Noise

I have a 2006 Mustang GT, I am haveing a problem with a noise in the front end. It's driving me and my mechanics crazy! This noise occurs when hitting any bump, from a pothole to just a crack in the road. I have replaced the control arms, struts, strut plates and everything else up front is in great working order. We put "ears" on the frame and cannot pinpoint the cause of my strife. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this irratating noise.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Seems to me there was a TSB on the early S197's regarding the connections for the front sway bar. I cannot remember any details, but made a clunking sound on bumps. I think there was a new set of end-links to fix the issue.

Jazzer

PS. Welcome to MF's and be sure to peep the S197 handling section

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 05-04-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
2011 Kyoti

I have a new 2011 GT-Premium that has the clunking noise in the left front strut tower it sounds. My mole at headquarters in Dearborn says they have a known quality problem with the left lower control arm on some GT's. I just got it back from the dealer where they say the front anti sway bar was not torqued properly. Whatever they did had no effect. I get the clunking as soon as my tires go onto gravel. I did however learn that if I apply light brake pressure while it is clunking it quits immediately. I know there are a ton of other postings about this on older models. Hard to believe the problem would not be solved by 2011. Any thoughts?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by papanther22
I have a 2006 Mustang GT, I am haveing a problem with a noise in the front end. It's driving me and my mechanics crazy! This noise occurs when hitting any bump, from a pothole to just a crack in the road. I have replaced the control arms, struts, strut plates and everything else up front is in great working order. We put "ears" on the frame and cannot pinpoint the cause of my strife. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this irratating noise.
Could be several things. For one, they had an issue with the upper strut mounts, and they have been revised due to guess what? Issues with a clunking noise on bumpy surfaces. I think the GT-500 upper mounts, which are revised and a litttle more heavy-duty are Ford p/n M-18183-A .
Also, the front swaybar end-links are known to cause noise. Make sure those are good and tight. They are a bit of a pain to tighten, and they also have a revised part : End Link: BR3Z 5K483 B , and Nut: W712503 S440 and it adds a 17mm nut on the end-link so it is easier to get the full torque of 85 lb-ft.
Probably try the saybar end-links first, and then the upper strut mounts are not too bad expensive and you might try those next. Upper strut mounts fixed my clunk.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
corruptor

I had a similar front end clunk and squeak noise when going over bumps in a previous car. Turned out to be the sway bar end links.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
DPHC13
1st Gear Member

i had the noise and the dealer replaced my front lower control arms. The noise was gone for about 7 months and now it's back. I'm thinking that it's the Strut mounts or end-links.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM
2011 Kyoti

Thanks all for the responses. The guy I know at the factory was right as were a few of you. The dealer installed "ears" on the chassis around the front left suspension. The ear clipped to the left control arm nearly popped their eardrums when listening and driving. They ordered the replacement arm, installed it and the problem is finally gone. I hope it stays that way. Keep in mind, this was a day one problem. My GT only has 1,000 miles on it and I first heard the noise when the car had 61 miles on the clock. Ford knows this is a problem albeit a fairly infrequent one according to them. I'm starting to wonder about how infrequent it really is.
Thanks again!