MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   Carbotech brake burnishing (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/646042-carbotech-brake-burnishing.html)

Ansibe 06-26-2011 10:00 PM

Carbotech brake burnishing

I carefully bedded in my OE pads and rotors, but picked up some judder at the track. I figured the stock pads overheated and started smearing material onto the disc unevenly. In an attempt to solve the problem, I bought new Ford (Brembo) rotors and Carbotech XP8/10 pads, and had the pads burnished for me by Carbotech. And then I went to the track and once again picked up a pretty severe judder. What am I doing wrong?

When I look at the disc in the right light, I believe I can see transfer material patches evenly spaced around the rotor where the vents are. My counterintuitive theory is that this part of the disc is getting hot enough to initiate transfer, but the ribbed portion is not. I guess the connecting ribs are conducting away the heat quicker than the vent slots, so that part of the disc never gets hot enough for pad transfer.

Any suggestions? Should I just be more aggressive with my burnishing? Maybe that would get the disc hot enough to transfer pad material across the whole surface. Or maybe I should be less aggressive to bring the rotor temps up more slowly and evenly?

Argonaut 06-27-2011 07:06 AM

This is what I don't like about Carbotech - luv their performance but dislike their bedding. I had this happen one time, really bad on the street and another time on track. I just kept going and eventually they seated themselves and stopped the judder.

Ansibe 06-27-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Argonaut (Post 7597635)
This is what I don't like about Carbotech - luv their performance but dislike their bedding. I had this happen one time, really bad on the street and another time on track. I just kept going and eventually they seated themselves and stopped the judder.

Thanks. Did you just keep going on the track or street? Mine don't judder at all on the street. They don't get hot enough I guess.

I have to admit, the judder seemed better at the end of my track day, but I thought I might just be getting used to it. Plus I was at Mosport, which is not that hard on brakes (with me at the wheel).

Do you still use the Carbotechs? If not, which brand/type do you use?

Argonaut 06-27-2011 08:15 PM

At the moment I'm using Ferodo DS1.11. They don't have as much initial bite as XP10 but other than that are very similar. They also last longer and are a lot easier to bed in, just step on them hard a few times and done. I have AP Racing calipers. They probably make them for the Brembos...not sure. I know quite few guys who use PFC01 and 06 and really love them. Then of course there are the hawk pads. I've used HT-10 which work well. Haven't tried the DTC series. I hear they are hell on rotors and the dust is corrosive.