Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2010 Mustang Gt autocross Wheel/tire set up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by white79bu
It is an adjustable bar so I started out on the weaker setting just to see what it was like. It worked MUCH better than the f41 bar so for my next event I stepped it up to the stiffer setting. The car seemed very flat when cornering but my 12 bolt Moroso Brute Strength posi didn't want to stay locked up and would spin one wheel at times in a hard corner. I talked with Dave Possi over on the PT board and he said that the car could have too much bar and that could mess with the rear end. It still lays down two marks when spinning the tires in a straight line. Have you ever has an issue like this with your car? When I had the bar in the weaker setting I noticed it was doing this with the rear end but not as bad as the stiffer setting.
I am going to guess that it was worse in right turns than in lefts . . . and yes, I've been able to spin a tire on corner exit in the Malibu from time to time (7.5" Auburn Pro) even with the F41 bar.

Your Moroso is still a clutch type diff (as opposed to a locker or spool), and as such it has a "bias" that varies. If the corner weights across the rear are enough different, as they can be during extremely hard cornering or with excessive rear roll stiffness, you may not be able to get enough help from the diff to keep the inside wheel from spinning.

With a stiffer rear bar, or with a stiffer rear bar setting, you're increasing the rear lateral load transfer (unloading the inside rear more and loading the outside rear more). Hold this thought.

Any ideas on bracing or shock set up you can tell me. the car has every factory brace I could find including the GNX rear seat brace and the shocks are Bilesteins but they don't seem to be stiff enough because I can put the car on it's nose when braking hard.
I doubt that those are the things that need fixing. Bracing makes the car behave more like a single block instead of things that flex relative to each other, but won't be anything you'd notice in terms of nose dive.

Shocks slow the "nose dive" process down and prevent overshooting the final "equilibrium" position but won't affect the heights that the front and rear of the car ultimately end up at.

What lets the car stand on its nose under braking is springs that are too soft. This could be either fronts or rears or both. But going back to the "too much rear lateral load" issue, you can balance that by stiffening the front in roll. This could be by stiffer front springs or a stiffer front bar, but in this case I think you want the stiffer front springs as they will help both of your situations. Whether the Bilsteins would still be enough shock for whatever front springs you end up with is a separate matter.

Norm
Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
white79bu

The springs in my car are hotchkis springs that have been in the car for probably ten years or so. It did really cross my mind that the springs might be a little worn out. Any recommendations on springs? I like the car to be a little low. I have been happy with the hotchkis springs.

If my financial situation improves I have that about trying detroit speed and engineerings new coilover system but the $2000 price tag is hard to chew. I would really like to switch to an ls1 with a hot cam for better drive ability and lighter weight.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Hmmm, it says mustangforums.com at the top of the page. I'm confused.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I was wondering what a Mustang Malibu was as well

The discussion is of course interesting as it is still dealing with a front engine, rear drive solid rear axle setup. Does the Malibu have a strut front end?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I was wondering what a Mustang Malibu was as well

The discussion is of course interesting as it is still dealing with a front engine, rear drive solid rear axle setup. Does the Malibu have a strut front end?
No. But it isn't a very performance-oriented SLA setup at all, with a camber curve that is poorer than what you get with a strut.

In some ways it's closer to the Fox/SN95, with the front springs mounted midway out on the LCAs and with a rear suspension that's quite similar to the Fox's.

The general approach for solving wheelspin on corner exit and nose dive under braking when the rear roll stiffness is perhaps a bit too high should hold regardless of the platform. But I agree, getting down to specific details in this tangential discussion probably belongs over on the Pro-Touring site (unless the Fox similarity is considered strong enough to continue it in the other Suspension forum - and Jazzer doesn't mind ).

Norm
Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
white79bu

No big deal. I tried to shoot you a pm but didn't see that option. I didn't think it was a big deal to talk about the malibu. I am a Mustang owner and I also autocross my mustang so that has to count for something.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The PM option is kind of hidden (start by clicking on the username of who you want to send it to is the way I know).

I'm a bit curious what differences you've noticed between the two cars out on course.

Norm
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Hotchkis
Former Sponsor

The springs in my car are hotchkis springs that have been in the car for probably ten years or so. It did really cross my mind that the springs might be a little worn out. Any recommendations on springs? I like the car to be a little low. I have been happy with the hotchkis springs.

If my financial situation improves I have that about trying detroit speed and engineerings new coilover system but the $2000 price tag is hard to chew. I would really like to switch to an ls1 with a hot cam for better drive ability and lighter weight.

White79bu – That’s a really cool 79bu! It looks like it would be a blast to drive. What kind of shocks do you have?

For your 2010 Mustang, besides sway bars, we do make a bunch of cool new products including subframe connectors, rear suspension packages, and braces.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM
white79bu

I would love to have TVS system for my mustang but saw that you guys only make them for 2011 or newer. Plus I don't have the budget right now for that. What is the one suspension mod you would suggest to help the my 2010 Mustang GT?

Also the malibu has a set of bilsteins on it.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

I would love to have TVS system for my mustang but saw that you guys only make them for 2011 or newer. Plus I don't have the budget right now for that. What is the one suspension mod you would suggest to help the my 2010 Mustang GT?

Also the malibu has a set of bilsteins on it.
Since you are talking about F-Stock there is only a couple of things you are allowed to do to the suspension. Front Sway Bar and Dampners are about it. (You can slot your front struts for more camber).

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang Gt autocross Wheel/tire set up?