Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

clunking from front after springs/shots

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default clunking from front after springs/shots

so after i installed my steeda sports and the koni yellows there seems to be a clunk that comes from the front suspension when i drive over a bump with just one tire (it does it every time i go over a speed bump with one tire). this doesnt occur if i go over the bump with two tires at the same time. i was just wondering if this was a normal thing, since i know to expect some increased noise because of the increased stiffness. i have the fronts set to 1 turn and the back to 1/2 fyi. thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
corruptor

Did you replace the stock strut mounts or reuse them?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

One wheel bump clunk - first thing to look for is at least one endlink stud/nut that didn't get fully torqued.

Norm
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
One wheel bump clunk - first thing to look for is at least one endlink stud/nut that didn't get fully torqued.

Norm
are u referring to the nuts at the bottom of the strut? bc we torqued the hell out of those. 148 lbs if i remember correctly. and as far as the stock strut mounts i installed a j&m camber caster plate, which if im thinking of the part your talking about is replaced by the plate
Old 08-19-2011, 01:14 AM
txminime

I think Norm is referring to the sway bar end link studs.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by txminime
I think Norm is referring to the sway bar end link studs.
That is correct.

tiger - if you ever have to disassemble the struts from the knuckles again (those coarse-thread 148 ft-lb nuts/bolts), throw them away and buy new ones. Get the fine-thread bolts (which may be all you can get anyway) and torque them to 166 ft-lbs.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1360

Norm
Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

That is correct.

tiger - if you ever have to disassemble the struts from the knuckles again (those coarse-thread 148 ft-lb nuts/bolts), throw them away and buy new ones. Get the fine-thread bolts (which may be all you can get anyway) and torque them to 166 ft-lbs.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1360

Norm
O ok I will check those studs when I get a chance. Is this an immediate thing I should address or is it ok if I put it off for a bit. And thanks for the info on those nuts norm I didn't know that they were one use only
Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If it suddenly gets worse, you'd want to fix it right away. Otherwise you can probably put it off a little (you know it's not going to let you forget about it). But I wouldn't keep putting it off either, as it's only four places to check.

Norm
Old 08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

If it suddenly gets worse, you'd want to fix it right away. Otherwise you can probably put it off a little (you know it's not going to let you forget about it). But I wouldn't keep putting it off either, as it's only four places to check.

Norm
ok ill be checking it this wknd when i change my oil. also i talked to sam and he said it might just be the spherical bearings from the camber/caster plates. i guess well see lol
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
ok ill be checking it this wknd when i change my oil. also i talked to sam and he said it might just be the spherical bearings from the camber/caster plates. i guess well see lol
I think its your sway bar endlinks as well, I had the same issue but not after the first time of taking it off and putting them back. Mine started clunking after the 2-3 time I took them off for various reasons because the bolt stretched I guess, ended up getting the Steeda ones.

Quick Reply: clunking from front after springs/shots