Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Best Boxed set performance handling package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Best Boxed set performance handling package?

Thinking of upgrading the suspension on my 08 GT and wondering if those packaged deals were any good?

I was looking at the Roush 427R stage 3 suspension package.

Is this kit superior to the same as the FRPP handling pack?

Not interested in road or rally racing but do want to put some supercar like handling in my GT
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 AM
SteedaMatt

Check out Steeda's Handling Paks!! We give discounts to forum members too!

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mus...sion-paks.html
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

Your initial thought was best...ROUSH all the way!!! Best suspension I have found!
Just so pricey! Try StranoParts...he will build you the best one for the money!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Boxed kits aren't all that special. I could paint the parts I use all the same color and tell you it's a special kit. It's how the parts work together. Your stock stuff is a boxed kit, if you think about it... and you want to change it.

I know, it's just so easy to click a button and be done. But if it's worth doing well, some time discussing the parts and how they work is important. I think it's silly to not run adjustable swaybars. I think it's silly to no investigate the springs or dampers. I think it's silly to add parts that you don't need, like LCA relocation brackets or LCA's (some companies do this as part of their kit).

Roush is trading on the name. There are no particulars out there, it's not a terrible driving kit, but I certainly feel I do it better (and don't hide the parts I use).
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm with Sam. You don't need a "kit" to make your car handle. I've tried out quite a few different suspension parts on my 06 GT and it has already made a vast improvement over the stock setup. For that matter, a proper set of wheels & tires are a major upgrade in handling.

What mods have you done so far?

As has been mentioned, swaybars are a nice upgrade. Unlike what has been mentioned, LCAs added grip in a straight line and in the corners on my car.

Good shocks, struts, and springs are obvious necessities. An adjustable panhard bar is advisable to center the rear after lowering the car.

A good performance alignment also makes a nice upgrade.

Feel free to call UPR Products at 561.588.6630 and we can discuss different options to improve the handling of your '08 GT.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys!

I thought of the "boxed kits" as an all in one mod and an easier way to get the most performance for the buck. I know if I did some more research and pieced the parts together for an more accurate list, I could most likely do better performance wise.

Are these kits worth the money and do they perform well is pretty much what I am getting at (well, considering I am not into road racing -yet- but possibly in the future)

I have Steeda Billet lower control arms.. that's about it for now.

I am pretty much open to all options at this point, since I am just brainstorming.

I do however really like the Roush kit, even if it's only for the name brand.. I trust it.

Same with FRPP. I know they may not be as hardcore as the other stuff out there but that's okay too.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM
SteedaMatt

I somewhat agree about the boxed kits. But, with our kits we pair up stuff we know works well together from our experience. That is why we offer Handling Paks which are purpose built complete kits, and G-Trac kits, which are build as you go kits.

Our kits are not boxed together on the shelf, we just use the parts together in a kit because they work. This allows us to add or remove pieces and still put together a package for you based on what you really need.
Please let me know if I can be of more help.

Here is a link to a video Muscle Mustangs did on one of our kits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_snajrgC0g

Last edited by SteedaMatt; 10-18-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

If you have any thought about possibly getting into road racing, I would talk to the vendors here and make sure you get the right parts the first time. The parts that they recommend, while maybe not "actually" being a boxed set, will perform like a boxed set... they will work together to make your car handle.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm not one to overtly say "I have this and we can fix you up", but I will remind you that this is what I do, sell parts and put together pieces for folks based on their needs.

Being an independent, I usually have more flexibility than others. I often use Steeda springs, but not always and carry other brands like H&R, Vogtland, Eibach just to name a few. I have my own sway bars that I designed to be what I wanted, but I also sell Steeda, Progress, Hotchkis, Hellwig just to name a few. Same with dampers (shocks/struts), I have not only Koni, but Tokico, Bilstien, Steeda, Monroe, KYB, etc.

See, to me it's never a matter of what I sell, in fact I have this reputation for telling folks some things they want initially won't help them, and dissuade them from stuff that won't help. Anyway, point being while I'm a loyal guy in general I feel flexibility in the parts I sell is important to the customer's knowing I'm only interested in getting them stuff that works. If I sell a lot of stuff, you know I'm not telling you something because I can't offer you some other option. I can't carry everything, that's not realistic. Luckily in things that are not suspension related there is a lot more overlap in what works.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackBetty
If you have any thought about possibly getting into road racing, I would talk to the vendors here and make sure you get the right parts the first time. The parts that they recommend, while maybe not "actually" being a boxed set, will perform like a boxed set... they will work together to make your car handle.
This is good advice. I'll just add the fact that seat time is invaluable. Whether the car is stock or modded, whether it has street tires or r-compound, the more familiar you become with the car's handling, the better equipped you'll be to choose your next mods and then reap their benefits!

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Thanks for the input guys!

I thought of the "boxed kits" as an all in one mod and an easier way to get the most performance for the buck. I know if I did some more research and pieced the parts together for an more accurate list, I could most likely do better performance wise.

Are these kits worth the money and do they perform well is pretty much what I am getting at (well, considering I am not into road racing -yet- but possibly in the future)

I have Steeda Billet lower control arms.. that's about it for now.

I am pretty much open to all options at this point, since I am just brainstorming.

I do however really like the Roush kit, even if it's only for the name brand.. I trust it.

Same with FRPP. I know they may not be as hardcore as the other stuff out there but that's okay too.
Let's be realistic here... any of the vendors/companies mentioned so far will be able to make a Mustang handle beyond the driving ability of most of us here on the forum. (especially on race tires) But to answer your questions directly, the boxed kits are good. Steeda really knows their stuff. Obviously FRPP can make a Mustang handle (FR500s & FR500c), and Roush can make a Mustang handle (Jack Jr. & Johnson finished second in Grand Sport this year with their Roush/BOSS). On the other hand, Sam is uniquely qualified to make recommendations due to the combination of his racing experience and the wide range of products he carries. And as the new guy on this forum, I'll humbly submit that at UPR Products, we know a thing or two about making a Mustang handle.

I guess your choice comes down to customer service. I think it's in your best interest to choose a company that is willing & able to interact with you on a regular basis. Good customer service continues beyond the point of sale.

Quick Reply: Best Boxed set performance handling package?