Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

S197 IN THE RAIN, MIN 400 HP

Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

1.So how are these newer stangs in the rain?, im not buying one until im confident, im not wasting my money on something I cant drive in the rain !

Once you get rid of the garbage Pirellis, decently as long as you dont drive like a retard. Couldnt go anywhere near the speed limit with those tires N/A. With Nitto 555r i can do the speed limit or above confidently...

2.How well do the Electronic traction controls algorithm perform in slippery conditions?

Whats that? Dont think thats ever been allowed to stay on in my car...

3.How well can you see in heavy rain, ? do the wipers move fast enought in heavy rain? mine dont

Well enough, they move pretty fast. Car hasnt seen rain in a looong while now though...

oh, forgot to mention, mine is supercharged with over 400hp...

Last edited by red96v6; 11-29-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

+1 to what red96v6 said.

The traction control systems are known to help a decent amount for newer drivers (which not many on here are), but mostly the utilize the throttle (by cutting it) and ABS to try and keep you on your intended path without too much slipping and sliding. Nothing the average driver can't do on their own.

Wipers are pretty quick, I've never had one of the motors go out on me, or even show signs of slowing down/failing. There are more speed choices than you'll ever need lol. However, I would suggest some better wipers than stock (those latitude wipers are costly but work wonders without the annoying streaks).

Most dealers will tell you anything will be good with snow tires, but I had some pretty good snows last winter and after tinkering with them a few times I noticed that even the best of snow tires won't stop that car from going ***-end crazy if you dip the throttle too much lol. Just gotta feather it everywhere, and make sure to stay away from the deep snow as these cars ride fairly low in the front as it is.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

I've had both Fox body and S197. I turned the Fox body completely around in the rain just making a left turn on damp pavement. Never spun out in the S197. I have 35K on the stock Pirellis and it's slipping more now than it used to. It takes a couple of seconds for the traction control to fire, so it will step out on you a little, but you can correct with steering/throttle if you don't go too far.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

My honest experience is that it is hard to throw an S197 with TC on around a turn. My dad's GT/CS with a CAI, UDPs, and 4.10s even does well. I was driving it a week or so ago in the rain and gave it too much gas around a corner with TC off, and easily corrected. My V6 with a CAI/tune and Eagle GTs really sticks to the road in the rain. I can break traction if I want, but I can quickly regain control if I do. As far as wipers, they can move fast. I use sealants on my window to keep the friction low, so in light-medium rain I don't have to use wipers, but even so, the wipers are fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

You can easily drive an S197 in the rain without losing traction. I have 4.10's and I've never broken the rear end loose when I didn't want to.

TCS is very sensitive at higher speeds, but will let you spin the tires off the line in the rain, but once you hit about 3-4k rpm TCS will cut power and won't let it rev any higher until you have traction. In other words it allows you to play in the rain, but it keeps you in check. I like it.. I screw around with the system every time it rains.

The wipers in this car couldn't get any better. They are so QUIET it's unbelievable. They are plenty fast for me.. I don't recall having to put them on the highest setting more than a couple of times.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Wayno

I don't understand. "not buying something you can't drive in the rain" ? I would NOT let that be a factor in buying a Mustang. Any Mustang for that matter. or any car!! Price, yeah, reliability, yeah, asthetics, yeah. But concerned about driving in the rain? Does it rain all the time where you are? lol!

Don't worry about rain. that is the least of your worries. Your biggest worry is finding the money to do all the mods that are available!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wayno
I don't understand. "not buying something you can't drive in the rain" ? I would NOT let that be a factor in buying a Mustang. Any Mustang for that matter. or any car!! Price, yeah, reliability, yeah, asthetics, yeah. But concerned about driving in the rain? Does it rain all the time where you are? lol!

Don't worry about rain. that is the least of your worries. Your biggest worry is finding the money to do all the mods that are available!
^Truth!!!

If you are afraid of driving anything in the rain, just stop while you're ahead and don't drive ANYTHING anymore. The BEST AWD/4WD vehicle w/ the BEST rain tires and NO power is still going to be able to get sideways w/ a bad driver behind the wheel...(or a good driver who knows what he's doing, lol). Hell, I used to get my little 150hp Dodge Neon sideways in the rain on purpose just for fun and I STILL get my 2000 F-350 CC/LB Diesel sideways from time to time just for the grin of it. ANY car is good in the rain. Just DON'T DRIVE LIKE IT'S SUNNY AND PERFECT OUT!!! That's all common sense. Drive for the conditions. (Consult a Drivers Education Course for any further questions on driving in the rain.)
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Or he could just SLOW DOWN and drive with his brain and not his other brain.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Does it rain all the time where you are? lol!

Move to Oregon...it doesn't rain all the time, only 361 days out of the year.

Anything that is "REAR WHEEL" driven sucks in the rain!!! no matter how much HP you have. The more HP the worse it is.

For what it is worth. I feel more in control of my 93 331 stroked stang. I prefer this vehicle in the rain and snow over my SC 06.

FOX = smaller, lighter more nimble. I feel like I am part of the vehicle. In control.
S197 = larger, heavier. I feel like I have less control of this vehicle. Vehicle drives You instead of me driving the car if you know what I mean.

You would have to have had the experience with both to understand.

Anyone else feel the same?
For whatever reason the 2010+ seem to be more rain-worthy than the 2005-2009...much of that might be due to the crap summer Pirellis I had though. The all-season Pirellis that come on the 19" wheels are great in the rain.

As for the Fox, I agree somewhat (although it's been a few years since I owned mine). It felt more connected to the road, lighter, and more nimble. It was also more scary when things went wrong. I felt more in control of it but when you lost control you were screwed.

With the S197 part of the heaviness and feeling of no-control has to due with the crap shocks and struts. I put Koni STR.Ts on an otherwise stock suspension car and you know what? ...I'm no longer uneasy at speeds over 90 on open roads (hypothetically and theoretically of course ). There also seems to be a bunch of understeer built in to the S197. The thing is though, when you loose control it's easy to regain. If the back starts slipping out you can correct pretty easy without going into a 360 deg spin and the stability and traction control are a big help. A Fox body (or even my '95 Cobra) was difficult or impossible to get moving uphill from a dead stop without spinning the tires on wet pavement...not so much of a problem w/ the S197.

Bottom line...you have to modify your driving technique on wet pavement!!
If you drive in the rain like you do when it's dry you WILL have problems...drive carefully and have decent tires and you shouldn't have a problem with any of the late model Mustangs. That's what makes us Mustang owners different than the Camaro guys....can't tell you how many new Camaros I've seen in a ditch or a pole after the first good rain of the season...about three I think.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ok, ill be clear here,

the road is wet, your doing just 15-20 mph, you make a turn in the fox around a bend applying the brakes soft and BAM A 360 !

Thats the bs im talking of

Or you apply your brake coming to a red light and the roads are wet, you were doing 40-45mph, AND SLIDE ALL OVER.

Thats total bs I could seriously tear something up in the rain. its parked

Last edited by aode08; 11-30-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S197 IN THE RAIN, MIN 400 HP