Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Changing a GT to a Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Like they have said it is probably cheaper to go that route but I had the same option and ate the money, if you sit in this car you will probably buy it.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 12-06-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Try a CG Lock to hold you in place.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

An inexpensive solution that has worrked for me.

Also my seats are cloth which helps.
Sorry about hijacking the thread...but how long have you had that cg-lock? I've been thinking of getting one but have read mixed reviews about the durability of some of the seatbelt locks (not sure if it was the same manufacturer or not).
Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

That begs the question Sam and Gus....what is the recipe for changing the GT into a car that can hang with the Boss on the autocross and road course? Granted the Boss would have the edge on the long straights due to the upper rpm range capabilities.
It was mentioned earlier that it would cost about $11,000 to get the GT on a comparable level with the Boss. I think it might be less than that:
1. Brembo conversion with stainless lines $1200
2. Boss front Fascia and spoiler: $410
3. cooling duct kit: $250
4. Sway bars: $500
5: Steeda strut mounts: $300
6. shocks and struts and springs:$890
7. Tune: $400 (already have a C&L CAI)

Grand total of: $3950
Didn't add seats, will probably upgrade my seat belt, brake fluid, better rear brake pads, etc. Will install everything myself! Waiting to hear back what my 2011 GT is worth on trade for a Boss with 2800 miles on it, but I'm sure it will be too low for me to trade it off and be able to live with myself!

Last edited by jlwdvm; 12-07-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
That begs the question Sam and Gus....what is the recipe for changing the GT into a car that can hang with the Boss on the autocross and road course? Granted the Boss would have the edge on the long straights due to the upper rpm range capabilities.
It was mentioned earlier that it would cost about $11,000 to get the GT on a comparable level with the Boss. I think it might be less than that:

Didn't add seats, will probably upgrade my seat belt, brake fluid, better rear brake pads, etc. Will install everything myself! Waiting to hear back what my 2011 GT is worth on trade for a Boss with 2800 miles on it, but I'm sure it will be too low for me to trade it off and be able to live with myself!
The seats and tires will run you $4,000......the seats are two grand and the tires are almost another two grand ($540 a piece in the back and $450 in the front) but other than that it looks good. Also if you want a Torsen differential I don't know what that would run you.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

My tires will do for now (Goodyear F1's) and I'm not interested in changing the interior. Torsion runs about $900 (does that contribute that much to handling?).
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

My tires will do for now (Goodyear F1's) and I'm not interested in changing the interior. Torsion runs about $900 (does that contribute that much to handling?).
http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20M...2%20Torsen.pdf

It is ideal for auto-cross and road courses, it helps understeer/oversteer and a few other things........that link is a pretty good read.....but probably not really a necessity for your build.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 12-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

$500 for sway bars? Geez, I guess I'm selling mine too cheaply!

The car needs little, very little to be a match for a Boss on a track handling wise. You want to get into the aero, where you draw the line? Boss or Laguna car?

There is precious little that's special suspension wise under a Boss, and special meaning different, not necessarily optimal (IMHO). The Boss kool-aid applied to the engine, and engines do make cars faster on a road course. It doesn't much apply to the suspension because it's not hard to improve on what's there.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
$500 for sway bars? Geez, I guess I'm selling mine too cheaply!

The car needs little, very little to be a match for a Boss on a track handling wise. You want to get into the aero, where you draw the line? Boss or Laguna car?

There is precious little that's special suspension wise under a Boss, and special meaning different, not necessarily optimal (IMHO). The Boss kool-aid applied to the engine, and engines do make cars faster on a road course. It doesn't much apply to the suspension because it's not hard to improve on what's there.
Just thought I'd put it out there that I really admire how great of a business you run, how devoted to your products and your customers you are, and if I weren't strapped for money right now, I'd be all over buying a set of shocks and springs from you for my 2011. Just wanted to give you a shout out after doing lots of background watching!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Just thought I'd put it out there that I really admire how great of a business you run, how devoted to your products and your customers you are, and if I weren't strapped for money right now, I'd be all over buying a set of shocks and springs from you for my 2011. Just wanted to give you a shout out after doing lots of background watching!
Same here. Going to buy shocks/srpings/sway bars soon and just waiting on available funds.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
It will be far more practical to simply improve the handling of your current vehicle. As good as the Boss is, the price difference would be better spent on your current vehicle.

It is pretty easy to get an aftermarket setup that will outhandle a stock Boss parts wise.

The proper springs, upgraded shocks and struts, and matched swaybars will give you get you there assuming you dont run out of tire grip.

Speaking of tires, if you want to step up to something comparable to the Boss in the brake department you will need larger wheels to clear them, at that point bigger tires will automatically go along with that as well which will maximize your grip.

Unless you REALLY want to get your hands on a Boss, which I wouldn't blame you for, it would be more cost effective to improve on what you already have.
Completely agree, I've updated my various cars suspensions over the years, and have always ended up with a better handling car than the best sports setup I could buy from the dealer (That includes my old 3 series out-handling an M3 like 'it' was a 4x4..)

Also the fact that Ford stealerships are asking way above MSRP for the Bosses they have left (There's a used one in the stealership near me still going for 55k, modified even and reduced warranty [on the floor room no less]- wtf).

If you can live with the few pony less HP, I think you can make a better handling car than the Boss on your own with the right modifications. Seen it, done it.

Dooo eet!

Quick Reply: Changing a GT to a Boss?