Changing a GT to a Boss? - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #21  
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Sam...I thought your adjustable bars were around $490? I have a dealer that will order me a boss at MSRP, but screw me on my trade, but that is to be expected. Another dealer has a used boss with 2800 miles on it for 2k overt MSRP, but will give me what I want out of my GT. Still thinking! Leaning towards building up my car though.
jlwdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #22  
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You already have a car, make it better. Even Strano said this and he drives Mustangs that would run circles around a BOSS. Like he said, there is nothing a BOSS can do that you cannot make another Mustang do (a lot cheaper).

It seems that you are worried about how much a BOSS would be and how much you would get off your car. In these days and times this shows that maybe this might not be a financially wise choice? Tax. title. license. Insurance. Maintenence. It all adds up. That 40k car will end up being 65k over 5 years.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #23  
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
You already have a car, make it better. Even Strano said this and he drives Mustangs that would run circles around a BOSS. Like he said, there is nothing a BOSS can do that you cannot make another Mustang do (a lot cheaper).

It seems that you are worried about how much a BOSS would be and how much you would get off your car. In these days and times this shows that maybe this might not be a financially wise choice? Tax. title. license. Insurance. Maintenence. It all adds up. That 40k car will end up being 65k over 5 years.
No way, I couldn't afford a 65k dollar car on my wages.......I can tell you that now. To the OP if you're going to get one and you want one I wouldn't pay a dime above MSRP, I didn't but I had to really work hard to find it and had to drive about 50 miles to pick it up. As others have said you really could just keep your car and make it awesome, I personally bought the Boss because it was at sticker, it's an iconic Mustang, and I wanted to be different. Believe me my old car was just as fast and with some shocks and struts it probably would have handled like this one, it's all in what you want. I choose to buy a Boss because I could and I got a sweet deal, if you want one go for it, if you listen to all the guys on these forums it's just another over priced GT that every magazine and car review has given too much praise.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 12-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.
REDBOSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #24  
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

I'm not worried about the money, as my 2011 is paid for. I have a 67 firebird convertible (driver) and 69 firebird (middle of build) in my garage right now, along with the GT. Just thought it would be a unique opportunity for someone that is 36 years old to buy a "muscle car" today. Granted, out GT's are muscle too, but might not be quite as special 30 years down the road! I'm too "tight" to take a $5-7,000 loss on my GT. Looking like I'll be placing a big order to American Muscle and Sam to make my own BOSS!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #25  
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
I'm not worried about the money, as my 2011 is paid for. I have a 67 firebird convertible (driver) and 69 firebird (middle of build) in my garage right now, along with the GT. Just thought it would be a unique opportunity for someone that is 36 years old to buy a "muscle car" today. Granted, out GT's are muscle too, but might not be quite as special 30 years down the road! I'm too "tight" to take a $5-7,000 loss on my GT. Looking like I'll be placing a big order to American Muscle and Sam to make my own BOSS!
I think that is a very good call. I prefer personalization to buying a labeled brand myself (All salutes to Boss however, it 'sets' the standards!), as you can generally make something better, cheaper, by starting with a base/mostly base optioned car.
JayyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #26  
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Now if I could only get a hold of Sam!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #27  
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

IIRC the boss has forged internals instead of powder formed

so for theoretical power limits the boss could make more power before it kills itsself
Ford_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #28  
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Yeh, they made the Road Runner a little more bomb proof inside to handle a little more abuse and rpm I guess. Talked to Sam yesterday. It might be a while before I get my hands on some Koni Yellows, but hopefully it is worth the wait! Ordered a Bama tune, Boss front fascia and spoiler, and Brembos today. That should get me started!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #29  
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Yeh, they made the Road Runner a little more bomb proof inside to handle a little more abuse and rpm I guess. Talked to Sam yesterday. It might be a while before I get my hands on some Koni Yellows, but hopefully it is worth the wait! Ordered a Bama tune, Boss front fascia and spoiler, and Brembos today. That should get me started!
i waited over 6 months for mine and believe me, it was worth the wait
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #30  
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the single biggest factor between passing people at a track day or being passed is the driver. spend some of that money at a driving school or hit a lot of track days with a good instructor and you don't need many mods to keep up with or pass cars like 911 GT3s, Z06's, and arial atoms.

A decent boss driver in a box stock car with the driver mod can beat some impressive rides. I had a guy in a brand new GT3 come over at the track a few weeks back and ask me how much boost i was running in the car since i passed him and he couldn't catch back up, he went off track trying. Had to pop the hood to prove it was NA.

anyway, the boss isn't perfect, I've seriously been thinking about some mods to the car other than the headers, catted x and CAI/tune I have. I'd like less dive in braking and more damping on rough sections of my home track, it's not confidence inspiring when your car bounces on rough sections at 120 plus. that said i'd not trade this car for a modded GT, there is more to it than handling and you have to ride in one to see what i mean. im eyeing the steeda boss springs, koni yellows and such but i haven't pulled the trigger.

rather than mod anything suspension wise ive been working on the me mod lol. when the car is holding me back then we will see what it needs, at this point im turning times similar to cars on race tires on factory rubber and still have a lot more in the car than i have in me. my opinion, upgrade brakes first, hit the track and learn to drive it 9/10ths or full out and then see what your ride needs to go faster. i always think im ready to mod for better times until i bump up a group and realize i'm no where near the limits of the car as it is. get an instructor, you don't want to learn to race your car and realize years down the road you have bad habits that prevent you from getting all you can out of what you drive.

Last edited by ShaneM; 12-17-2011 at 08:31 AM.
ShaneM is offline   Reply With Quote