Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Changing a GT to a Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Price point aside, an LS buyer is not the same guy as a Shelby buyer at all, so it's a case of horses for courses.

Even though the Shelby can hold its own through the twisties, it's still mostly about brute power and straight lines (and I did note your sig, which explains your preference).

The LS is about handling balance and carries the Trans-Am legacy, and the reality probably is that fewer people are likely to prefer the LS over the Shelby. That's OK.

Back in the day, the same comparison would have been between the GT350 and the GT500.

Neither one is better than the other in every respect.

Norm
Norm I agree with you completely and would like both

For a high speed track like Mosport the 2013 GT500 would be a blast and really quick. At 130+ mph my GT with 445 HP just runs out of steam going up the back straight. An extra 150 HP would be really nice.

For a shorter tighter track the LS would also be nice but probably no faster out of the box than my 08 GT, which has a few mods.

Now I just have to win a lottery so that I can buy a GT500.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Yes, this new level of cars has made me review the context of modding my 06' further, it's been great, and it corners and accelerates beautifully, but it seems like shooting for the stars now. Erik
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, I'd like to see a picture of the tires. And were you running -1.5 all that time, or did you have previous use/wear on the tires before? I think your pressures are ok. If you are grinding the outside edge off the car should be understeering. Again maybe this is a before thing and that started the wear? I don't know, seeking the answer.

As for the bars. Well, the front bar is in a bind in OEM state which isn't ideal and doesn't help the way the front end of the car works. I actually think that the rear bar is normally a touch too big but I'm finding that many folks were running the 22mm adjustable middle or stiff, and nobody was really using the soft end. So I've developed a thin wall (important) 25mm bar that is also 3 way adjustable, *AND* I also have a really stiff 25mm solid 2-way bar for those with big spring splits, big tire staggers, or that just want it. I have to say that I think the 8419 25mm would be the one I'd recommend with the front bar too (so we can get rid of the bind) with you springs.
Sam,
I'm planing to upgrade my rear tires to 275/40R-19 or 275/35R-19, but to keep my oem brembo wheels (9X19). Probably this will bring understeer to my GT. Do you think I need to go for a bigger rear swaybar (like on the BOSS that has bigger rear tires and bigger rear swaybar)? BTW. I have your Steeda Sport Springs & KONI STRT, that are great!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Sam,
I'm planing to upgrade my rear tires to 275/40R-19 or 275/35R-19, but to keep my oem brembo wheels (9X19). Probably this will bring understeer to my GT. Do you think I need to go for a bigger rear swaybar (like on the BOSS that has bigger rear tires and bigger rear swaybar)? BTW. I have your Steeda Sport Springs & KONI STRT, that are great!

I think that the balance will change a bit, but which way is hard to say. It's not just the size of the tire, but the construction the grip how it contacts the ground, so on and so forth.

You have a solid 24mm rear bar. A Boss uses a solid 25mm. I would recommend my 8419 bar which is a hollow 25mm (1"), but is 3 position adjustable so you have some tuning options not there with non-adjustable bars.

Disclaimer: One guy put a weirdo exhaust that doesn't fit well on his car, a Pypes sytem fwiw and the way the pipes into the muffler run he can't run the full soft position, and I guess this is my fault for not knowing (even though he never told me he had a non stock exhaust before). This is the first we've seen it with all kinds of systems. But fair warning, if you have a wonky exhaust (as mine works fine with stock exhausts and every aftermarket one I've tried/seen personally) you might only have a 2 position bar....
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think that the balance will change a bit, but which way is hard to say. It's not just the size of the tire, but the construction the grip how it contacts the ground, so on and so forth.

You have a solid 24mm rear bar. A Boss uses a solid 25mm. I would recommend my 8419 bar which is a hollow 25mm (1"), but is 3 position adjustable so you have some tuning options not there with non-adjustable bars.

Disclaimer: One guy put a weirdo exhaust that doesn't fit well on his car, a Pypes sytem fwiw and the way the pipes into the muffler run he can't run the full soft position, and I guess this is my fault for not knowing (even though he never told me he had a non stock exhaust before). This is the first we've seen it with all kinds of systems. But fair warning, if you have a wonky exhaust (as mine works fine with stock exhausts and every aftermarket one I've tried/seen personally) you might only have a 2 position bar....
Thanks Sam, you hit the nail's head. If I go staggered I will give you a call for one of those rear sway bars