Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

will a slightly wider front tire affect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Thanks Norm and JAJ, i think i'll give the RE-11s a shot.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I bought a set of RE-11s early this year and have put about 11,000 miles on them plus about 11 autocrosses (with some of those having two people drive the car). They are slightly above the wear bars. Luckily I'm taking them off for the winter now but I just wanted to give you fair warning about the lifespan of tires like this. I imagine that I'll get through about half of next summer before I need to replace them.

They are really, really great tires though. They are amazing in the wet. We've had a few rainy autocrosses this year and I was schooling people who are usually faster than me, and I think it was definitely due to the tires.

The Dunlop Direzza Star Spec and Hankook RS-3 are two other tires that I think rate even better than the RE-11s, and they're cheaper too. The Hankook is basically the tire to have for autocross in the street tire categories. Neither of these are as good in the wet if that's a factor to you.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty
I bought a set of RE-11s early this year and have put about 11,000 miles on them plus about 11 autocrosses (with some of those having two people drive the car). They are slightly above the wear bars. Luckily I'm taking them off for the winter now but I just wanted to give you fair warning about the lifespan of tires like this. I imagine that I'll get through about half of next summer before I need to replace them.

They are really, really great tires though. They are amazing in the wet. We've had a few rainy autocrosses this year and I was schooling people who are usually faster than me, and I think it was definitely due to the tires.

The Dunlop Direzza Star Spec and Hankook RS-3 are two other tires that I think rate even better than the RE-11s, and they're cheaper too. The Hankook is basically the tire to have for autocross in the street tire categories. Neither of these are as good in the wet if that's a factor to you.
neither of those other tires have sizes that come close to factory for my needs sadly. thanks for the tip on the wear of the re-11 tires, that is actually a bit more wear than i have from the factory tires. they need replaced and the car has only a bit over 10k on it.