Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

SCCA Autocross Prep for FS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 PM
lost won

Default Bio

Originally Posted by jsnyng
They'll fit.

Is this your first autocross ever? First time on Hoosiers?
Uh, no, and no. I go way, way back. Started with a '66 Vette when it was
only 3 years old. Went through Mustangs, then Firebird, then Camaro in the nineties, then to C5 Z06 in 2002-2006. All in stock classes, and most on Hoosiers or Kumhos. Been away from autocross for a while. Looking forward to relearning the Pony. FS is pretty competitive out here in San Diego, so I should have a lot of fun trying to win. I was just basically going for the best bang for the buck in a stock class. Oh, and I do like 400 horsepower.

Hey, thanks for posting that program to get speed in gears. Hope to use it soon, but as a new member on the forum, I can't seem to access it yet.

See ya around the forum!
John
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lost won
Uh, no, and no. I go way, way back. Started with a '66 Vette when it was
only 3 years old. Went through Mustangs, then Firebird, then Camaro in the nineties, then to C5 Z06 in 2002-2006. All in stock classes, and most on Hoosiers or Kumhos. Been away from autocross for a while. Looking forward to relearning the Pony. FS is pretty competitive out here in San Diego, so I should have a lot of fun trying to win. I was just basically going for the best bang for the buck in a stock class. Oh, and I do like 400 horsepower.

Hey, thanks for posting that program to get speed in gears. Hope to use it soon, but as a new member on the forum, I can't seem to access it yet.

See ya around the forum!
John
Whew! In a previous post you said "just starting out" so I assumed novice. I was going to counsel you on how not to ruin $1,600 worth of Hoo$ier$ at your first event. It sounds like you've got it under control.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
lost won

Whew! In a previous post you said "just starting out" so I assumed novice. I was going to counsel you on how not to ruin $1,600 worth of Hoo$ier$ at your first event. It sounds like you've got it under control.
ALWAYS interesting in hearing another opinion on car prep. How do I not ruin the Hoosiers?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM
lost won

Default First time out with the new Pony

Jan 28 & 29 - Was Jst another warm, sunny weekend here in Sandy Eggo....

Practice event Sat, and Championship event Sun. Got in 8 runs on Sat to get the tires scrubbed and get a taste of Ford for the first time in, oh 20 years. Then 4 runs on Sunday for the plastic trophy. Started out slow, then got slower. Finally came down to last run, trailing by 1.5 sec or so. Had to go for broke, went for it and found 2 seconds to win by 0.6 at 73 seconds.
To be fair, I was on hero-maker fresh Hoosiers, and my competition was on a very old set of RE-11 streets, so we both know who the better driver was that day. Tremendous fun, though. The mustang is a bomb. Felt good to be back in the saddle after about 6 years!

Didn't ruin the Hoosiers,yet. Learned a LOT. Everything worked very well. No issues at all. "Sport" mode works fine! Felt a little soft throttle intervention coming off the corners, which limited tire slip well. Fresh A6's STICK like glue. And even with the extra traction, the car felt well balanced and planted. No excess sway, but then I 'm sure I wasn't pushing it anywhere near the edge yet. Just need to keep practicing and increase my confidence in the car some more. Got a lot more to learn. Did I say I was stoked? For anyone interested here's some links to results, pics, and videos:

results: http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/result...d1_fin-web.htm

pics: We have a world class photographer here.(see pics 4-44, 47 especially) http://lateapexphoto.com/p475701446

video: (see post #11)This is from my competition's Pontiac G8 GXP http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/showthre...12-DCCSD-Champ

Enjoy! John FS #7
Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Sounds like we have another one hooked.

Welcome to the fraternity.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
ttussey

Hello. I am new to the whole autocross thing. I just heard about it a couple weeks ago and it sounds like it would be a blast! Can you give me some advice an some things, like tires, wheel size, gears, any advice at all? I have a 2011 gt auto with 3.15 gears. Thanks...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttussey
Hello. I am new to the whole autocross thing. I just heard about it a couple weeks ago and it sounds like it would be a blast! Can you give me some advice an some things, like tires, wheel size, gears, any advice at all? I have a 2011 gt auto with 3.15 gears. Thanks...
My advice from somebody who learned the hard and expensive way, don't mod your car anything beyond the F Stock rules until you've tried it and figured out which class you'd like to run in. Also from somebody who actively autocrosses an auto car, KEEP THE 3.15 GEARS. I switched to 3.73's well before I started autocrossing. With 3.73's and shorter, stickier rubber, you will run out of 2nd gear too fast. With 3.15's and 295/30/18 Hoosiers (very short tire), I can run 67 in 2nd. On factory height rubber I can run low 70's in 2nd. I'd say 98% of all autocross courses in the country will not exceed those speeds. You also do NOT want to run the course in D. Trust me on that one. It is a miserable existence. Launch off idle in 1 then bump to 2 or power brake a launch in 2 and just leave it there. Feel free to ping me here or through PM's. I've got probably the most nationally competitive S197 auto in the country.

My SCCA Southeastern Divisionals winning run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VIHrfovXU4

National Street Tire Challenge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4fRH_Wf-9c

Last edited by jsnyng; 02-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttussey
If think Autocross would be a blast don't go near a road course.

PS - my avatar is going through Turn 5, Moss Corner, at Mosport. Yes the corner was named after him.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
ttussey

My advice from somebody who learned the hard and expensive way, don't mod your car anything beyond the F Stock rules until you've tried it and figured out which class you'd like to run in. Also from somebody who actively autocrosses an auto car, KEEP THE 3.15 GEARS. I switched to 3.73's well before I started autocrossing. With 3.73's and shorter, stickier rubber, you will run out of 2nd gear too fast. With 3.15's and 295/30/18 Hoosiers (very short tire), I can run 67 in 2nd. On factory height rubber I can run low 70's in 2nd. I'd say 98% of all autocross courses in the country will not exceed those speeds. You also do NOT want to run the course in D. Trust me on that one. It is a miserable existence. Launch off idle in 1 then bump to 2 or power brake a launch in 2 and just leave it there. Feel free to ping me here or through PM's. I've got probably the most nationally competitive S197 auto in the country.
My SCCA Southeastern Divisionals winning run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VIHrfovXU4

National Street Tire Challenge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4fRH_Wf-9c
Thanks alot I do appreciate it. I will take it all to heart. Do you run all 4 tires at 295/30/18? Thanks... Oh yea, Love the video's!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
ken o

New to Mustangs, about 11 years in AX and track in different cars.
I am look for some answers before I pull the trigger on a 2013 5.0 track pack.
Any concerns SCCA will move it because of the Torsen and power?
Which wheels match the OEM sizing +/- 5mm?
Front bars?
I will probably go AST or Moton for shocks.

Just curious but did Ford plan for this thing to go 4x4? It sits so high.

Quick Reply: SCCA Autocross Prep for FS?