Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
J.M

Default What's next?

I'm new here, had my car about 9 mos. now (0 option 05 GT 5spd) A week after getting the car I put on the following

Tokico's
Strano bars front and rear
Steeda sport springs
Rear control arms
GT500 18x9.5's
Hankook Ventus RS3's
Magnaflow cat back
PBR pads
new braided flex lines

Took the car autocrossing and lapping and locally the car did really well. At the same time 2 of my friends bought lotus elises. I was shocked on the track that i had no problem not only staying with them , but both of them waving me on to pass because I was pushing them, both are very good drivers ... speaks volumes for the mustang. A friend of mine and former 1 lap winner bought a 2003 M3..and again on the track I had no problem being glued to his bumper..

So what to do next? I think the springs are far more street then track. I would like to do a Watts and new upper strut mounts, but would rather ask those in the know. Performance wise I got some 4.10's for the car going to do a programmer and intake. My primary goal is to make the car handle.

I come from autocrossing vettes / 997S - RS america and civics. I have a Northstar V8 fiero, 66 corvair turbo, Run the GRM Challenge...and I think thats it.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Although they handle well Elises' are dog slow, so no surprise there.

Personally I'd forgo the 4.10s if you plan on doing many AX and/or track days. I had that ratio in when I first started doing AX and HPDE several years ago. With the 4.6 motor and manual tranny they stink - for AX you will be bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd. For any high speed track you will be hitting the limiter in 4th and since 5th is an overdrive, its useless, so they really lower your top speed.

If you want a quick handling silver bullet get a set of R-comps. Crazy grip.

Which Vette did you drive? Was the 997 yours, or did you just get to drive it. Although its been a great car, I find it hard to imagine someone parking a 997 in favor of a Stang.

Last edited by Argonaut; 02-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
J.M

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Although they handle well Elises' are dog slow, so no surprise there.

Personally I'd forgo the 4.10s if you plan on doing many AX and/or track days. I had that ratio in when I first started doing AX and HPDE several years ago. With the 4.6 motor and manual tranny they stink - for AX you will be bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd. For any high speed track you will be hitting the limiter in 4th and since 5th is an overdrive, its useless, so they really lower your top speed.

If you want a quick handling silver bullet get a set of R-comps. Crazy grip.

Which Vette did you drive? Was the 997 yours, or did you just get to drive it. Although its been a great car, I find it hard to imagine someone parking a 997 in favor of a Stang.

The 997S is my fathers, I have been running it off and on for 6 years. The car runs R comps and mostly engine bolt ons. It's absolutely a faster car, most notably in turn in and the ability to toss the car around.. 315's also don't hurt. We have a C4 thats been run in SS since new and been NEDIV champ more then a few times back inthe day thats now retired and a C5. Up until a year ago I worked as a marketing manager @ GM and drove a slew of C6's, Z06's etc. I have autocrossed and tracked for 17 yrs now.

Any suggestions as to springs? The Watts? I run 285's all around and feel like it's almost under tired even with RS3's

GRM Car

The RS america
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Well, with a watts the biggest advantage is dropping the asymmetric behavior of the PHB and you fix the roll center (or was it instant center?) to the center of the watts pivot. You can lower the roll center to improve rear end grip at the expensive of having more body roll (longer moment arm).

The biggest advantage is having a completely symmetric handling profile... the PHB plants the left wheel in right hand turns and tries to lift it in left hand turns. Is it noticeable on a road course? I don't know, my car hasn't been to a road course yet, but I can tell you that even with my lack of suspension tuning experience that I can tell the difference in right hand and left hand corners which is better for the car. I will be ditching the PHB for a Watts when I lower the car. Specifically the Fays2 unit. The weight addition is at least at the correct end of the chassis and not much additional unsprung weight either, if any additional.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J.M
The 997S is my fathers, I have been running it off and on for 6 years. The car runs R comps and mostly engine bolt ons. It's absolutely a faster car, most notably in turn in and the ability to toss the car around.. 315's also don't hurt. We have a C4 thats been run in SS since new and been NEDIV champ more then a few times back inthe day thats now retired and a C5. Up until a year ago I worked as a marketing manager @ GM and drove a slew of C6's, Z06's etc. I have autocrossed and tracked for 17 yrs now.

Any suggestions as to springs? The Watts? I run 285's all around and feel like it's almost under tired even with RS3's
Very nice cars. Really love that RS America. I have a 07 Stang and 99 C5. On the Stang the largest tires I've used are 275 square while on the C5 I've used all the way up to 305. The Stang being taller and heavier certainly feels "under tired" in comparison, so I know where you are coming from. I don't know what is the biggest tire you can get under the fenders but at 285 you are pretty close. So that just means you need a set of track wheels with A6s on them :-). I've used the Eibach pro springs and liked them but Strano would be the best guy to suggest springs specifically for your usage. The other thing you might take a look at getting is adjustable camber plates so you can dial in a little more negative camber in front.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

IMO, if considering changing the springs then coilovers would be a nice upgrade. I have the Roush trak pak kit with camber plates. It was built by KW to Roush R&D specs.
Also recommend Strano Performance Parts site.
Another suggestion is to corner weight the car after your spring/strut swap.
My next mods for the track are a Torsen differential and Fays 2 watts link install.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
J.M

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
Also recommend Strano Performance Parts site.
With the exception of the exhaust everything came from Strano. I will look into coilovers and get his opinion.

Thanks guys!