Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need tire and suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 AM
gtenthused

Default Need tire and suspension advice

Hi guys, let me start off by saying thank you to all of those that post on here. You all have helped me learn alot through ur posts and comments.

My pirellis are on their last leg and i'm not sure what tires are good out there for these cars. I was thinking of high performance all seasons like the general g max, but i'm unsure. i was going to buy different wheels this year but seeing that Mr. Strano is having a sale on konis i feel the need to buy those, then wheels next year. My car is stock 11 gt brembo. I would like to do 275 40 19 or 275 35 19. Any suggestions on tires is appreciated. i would like something under or around the 250$ range tread wise dosent really matter as long as it isnt 140. As for suspension i'm going to call sam soon about the shocks. All i plan on doing is some daily back road fun and an auto cross here and there, and hopefully out handle the m3's that i used to enjoy so this is what i was thinking... koni yellows steeda or hotchkis lowering springs, and if i need anythingelse please fill in the blanks. I also live in pitt pa. Thank in advance!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM
gtenthused

Scratch the 275's i meant 255 40 or 255 45 19 sorry.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I think you have a good plan. I've got Steedas & yellows on my car and it's good for both road and track. Get your springs from Sam - his are "special" straight rate springs that don't seem to be available from Steeda direct. They're probably meant for an older model 'Stang, but Sam has done the work for you, so why fight it?

I bought an adjustable PH rod, thinking I'd need it after lowering. I did not. My wheels are actually slightly off-center to to the drivers side, which I consider a "bonus". In left handers your body weight helps balance the car, and in rights a little driver's side off-set helps.

My opinion, but I think the PZeros are awesome, and too expensive. Mine lasted 5000 miles last year with track work. No burnouts! Right now I'm running GY F1s on 9.5" wheels. Not that impressive after the PZeros. I'm going to try the Continental Extreme DW, or the Pilot SS next. Pilots are a bit more expensive, so I'm not sure which way I'll go.

I also think your tire sizes should be either 255/40, or 275/35. You may want 9.5" wheels if you go to 275s. I have 255s on 9.5" wheels and was quite surprised how much more direct the steering is compared with the 9" wheels. Could be the tires, though.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

255 40's are on average 8 lbs lighter than 255 45's(which is a massssive difference) and the shorter sidewall will probably provide quicker steering feedback and better response along with lowering your effective gearing which should provide a bit better accelleration.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp I got the average wieghts of the tires in those sizes from this website

pilot supersports are also 10% lighter than other tires of the same size

go with pilot super sports 255 40 19's if you want better performing tires (these tires come stock on cars like ferrari's etc)

those tires combined with a suspension setup like your referring to should be awesome

Last edited by Andy13186; 03-15-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We can put you in a nice suspension package like the one shown in 5.0 magazine:

http://www.steedablog.com/2011/10/mm...ck-with-a-5-0/

This will give you the upper hand on the M3s.

PM if you are interested in hearing about pricing.

Thank you

TJ
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
gtenthused

Thanks guys, I really like those super sports, but for 360 a piece, i should just get my wheels i want tsw interlagos 18x 9.5 n get tires for those n it'll be 260 a tire rather than waiting til next year.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gtenthused
Hi guys, let me start off by saying thank you to all of those that post on here. You all have helped me learn alot through ur posts and comments.

My pirellis are on their last leg and i'm not sure what tires are good out there for these cars. I was thinking of high performance all seasons like the general g max, but i'm unsure. i was going to buy different wheels this year but seeing that Mr. Strano is having a sale on konis i feel the need to buy those, then wheels next year. My car is stock 11 gt brembo. I would like to do 275 40 19 or 275 35 19. Any suggestions on tires is appreciated. i would like something under or around the 250$ range tread wise dosent really matter as long as it isnt 140. As for suspension i'm going to call sam soon about the shocks. All i plan on doing is some daily back road fun and an auto cross here and there, and hopefully out handle the m3's that i used to enjoy so this is what i was thinking... koni yellows steeda or hotchkis lowering springs, and if i need anythingelse please fill in the blanks. I also live in pitt pa. Thank in advance!
Of course, I'd love you to try UPR suspension... and it's working well on my car. But Sam will send you in a different direction, and that's fine. (although I still insist that he's wrong about never upgrading LCAs. TJ@Steeda will back me up on that one)

It's hard to make a tire suggestion since you specified all season tires and most performance tires are considered "summer tires", but I see that you're in PA, so I understand the need. One option would be to run 10" +45mm wheels and 295s all the way around like the Roush cars do. Even with all season tires, that extra inch of rubber will certainly help.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 AM
gtenthused

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Of course, I'd love you to try UPR suspension... and it's working well on my car. But Sam will send you in a different direction, and that's fine. (although I still insist that he's wrong about never upgrading LCAs. TJ@Steeda will back me up on that one)

It's hard to make a tire suggestion since you specified all season tires and most performance tires are considered "summer tires", but I see that you're in PA, so I understand the need. One option would be to run 10" +45mm wheels and 295s all the way around like the Roush cars do. Even with all season tires, that extra inch of rubber will certainly help.
Why wouldn't you upgrade the lca's?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gtenthused
Why wouldn't you upgrade the lca's?
I guess it's sort of an inside joke. A lot of people take Sam Strano's word as gospel, and he does know a thing or two about cornering, but one thing he's dead wrong on is that according you him, you NEVARRR replace the control arms on an S197 Mustang. He's always ripping on me and on Kelly from BMR about it. Meanwhile, every one of us vendor/sponsors swear by upgrading the control arms. UPR, BMR, Steeda, UMI, Hotchkis, and so on. (and yes, we actually race our cars) We all recommend upgraded LCAs, because they work!!