Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stock Rotor & Carbotech Pad Wear 2011 Season

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Stock Rotor & Carbotech Pad Wear 2011 Season

Earlier this month I had my new pads and rotors installed and my brake fluid flushed.

Here is a report on how the removed pads and rotors held up on my 08 GT.

- before the start of the season new Carbotech XP10s were installed front and rear on GT500 Brembo calipers and stock rear calipers. The rotors were replaced with stock Ford rotors and the fluid flushed with ATE Typ 200. My car has Quantum front brake cooling.

- ran 7 track days, 2 at Mosport which is fast and not hard on brakes, and 5 at TMP which is short and somewhat hard on brakes. Probably at least 1/12 to 2 hours of track time per track day

- left the Carbotech pads in until they were removed this month. Car driven two or three times a week as a DD and back and forth to the tracks

Front rotors were slightly worn down to 1.25 and the minimum thickness is 1.18. Rear rotors noticeably worn down to 0.74 and minimum thickness is 0.68. I kept the fronts as spares.

Front pads worn down to .180 which is more than 1/2 way. The rears were were worn to 0.25 which is not even 1/2 way.

The brakes were not bled any time during the season. The pedal always felt fine and there were no signs of fade.

The brakes will easily kick in the ABS even with the Nitto NT01s.

Disclaimer - this is my result for my car and how I drive - your results may vary.

PS - the 4 new rotors for this season from the Ford dealer cost me $431 plus taxes.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Slightly better results with Roush 14" two piece rotors and 6 piston caliper fronts, slotted standard size rear rotors with OEM calipers, using HP+ pads.
My brake cooling kit is from Quantum and running NT05s on stock chrome cast wheels.
Are you running a dedicated track wheel with the NT01s?
I always have my ABS off unless first time at a new track. Do you leave yours on?
Just wondering, as I like to compare with other Mustang track buds.
I've run Thunderhill in Willows and Sears Point in Wine country all last season (5 times at Sears Point, 2 times at T-Hill). Sears Point is harder on brakes than the other track.
My brake fluid is ATE' Super Blue and I bleed after every other track day (just for peace of mind).
Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
Slightly better results with Roush 14" two piece rotors and 6 piston caliper fronts, slotted standard size rear rotors with OEM calipers, using HP+ pads.
My brake cooling kit is from Quantum and running NT05s on stock chrome cast wheels.
Are you running a dedicated track wheel with the NT01s?
I always have my ABS off unless first time at a new track. Do you leave yours on?
Just wondering, as I like to compare with other Mustang track buds.
I've run Thunderhill in Willows and Sears Point in Wine country all last season (5 times at Sears Point, 2 times at T-Hill). Sears Point is harder on brakes than the other track.
My brake fluid is ATE' Super Blue and I bleed after every other track day (just for peace of mind).
I leave my ABS on.

Yes I have a set of Enkei PF01s, 18/9.5/18, for my track tires.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
ABS = Anti Lock Braking System. You can't turn it off...unless you pull a fuse or something. Do you mean TC = Traction Control?

Colin -I think you are correct in saying YMMV. Different cars, different tracks, different tires and different drivers. I've found its very difficult to compare pad usage. Personally I've found the Carbotech XPs wear a little more quickly than Hawks for example. The Carbotech are an awesome pad and since you're getting such outstanding wear out of them...sounds like the perfect choice for you.