Might as well? Steeda upper strut mounts? - MustangForums.com

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1  
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Default Might as well? Steeda upper strut mounts?

Planning to get some Steeda Sport springs, and Koni SRT.T struts. I already bought some GT500 strut mounts on sale. CJ POny parts now has 2005-2010 HD strut mounts on sale. Should I go ahead and get those, or just stick to my plan of GT500 mounts and camber bolts? I'm assuming that the 2010 HD mounts are what I would need since I'm changing struts on my 2011. I hate to keep sinking money, particularly when I could put that toward a new set of tires!
safetyfastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2  
eolson
3rd Gear Member

If your lowered, i'd have a race shop look at your current tire wear and camber angle. I'm lowered an inch on the Saleen springs, and i have a bit more tire wear in the inside of my front tires already, indicating that for the street, I am already in good posture for corners as it is, without camber adjustment. Erik
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #3  
[email protected]
3rd Gear Member

Depends on what your plans are. Do you want a more aggressive Mustang that can handle and ride better?? If your answer is yes then might as well all get it done at once to keep install time/money down. Tires down the road would be an additional improvement.

IMPO I would rather have the suspension upgraded and then move towards tires. It is all based on your budget.

PM if you have any questions?

Thank you

TJ
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #4  
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Depends on what your plans are. Do you want a more aggressive Mustang that can handle and ride better?? If your answer is yes then might as well all get it done at once to keep install time/money down. Tires down the road would be an additional improvement.

IMPO I would rather have the suspension upgraded and then move towards tires. It is all based on your budget.

PM if you have any questions?

Thank you

TJ
Am I correct that with the upgrade to Koni shocks, I need the 05-10 mounts rather than the 11-12 mounts?
As I understand it, with the Steeda mount, I need to use the rubber portion off the GT500 mounts? Would I be better of getting some caster plates instead?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #5  
radioguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfastgt View Post
Am I correct that with the upgrade to Koni shocks, I need the 05-10 mounts rather than the 11-12 mounts?
As I understand it, with the Steeda mount, I need to use the rubber portion off the GT500 mounts? Would I be better of getting some caster plates instead?
Yes, you need different strut mounts. I used the 2011 GT500 strut mounts. Worked perfectly ( I had the KONI Yellow Sport adjustable shocks and struts installed on a 2011 Mustang V6 convertible).
radioguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #6  
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Correct. I just did this two weeks ago with Steeda sports and Koni STR.Ts. I used the Steeda HD mounts (2010) and took the spring seats off the GT500 mounts to use. All worked out like a charm. The ride is good and much improved handling over the stock suspension. I thought about the caster plates, but decided it wasn't worth it for what I'm doing. The HD mounts worked very well and the little bit of adjustment provided was all I needed. Here's what mine looks like after (with the crappy stock wheels):

YerBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #7  
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Quote:
Planning to get some Steeda Sport springs, and Koni SRT.T struts. I already bought some GT500 strut mounts on sale. CJ POny parts now has 2005-2010 HD strut mounts on sale. Should I go ahead and get those, or just stick to my plan of GT500 mounts and camber bolts? I'm assuming that the 2010 HD mounts are what I would need since I'm changing struts on my 2011. I hate to keep sinking money, particularly when I could put that toward a new set of tires!
The Steeda mounts are higher-quality and built tougher than the GT500 mounts.

You would need the GT500 upper spring isolators with any shocks/struts other than our Pro-Actions shocks/struts.

Let me know if I can get those mounts for you.
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #8  
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Brandon, I already bought a set of GT500 mounts on sale in anticipation of this job. The sale price on the HD mounts got me thinking of what ifs.... I don't suppose you can match the CJ pony parts sale price on the mounts and Sport Springs??

YerBuddy, car looks great, even on stock wheels. The lowering made a huge visual difference.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #9  
[email protected]
3rd Gear Member

Safetyfastgt,

Brandon will provide you with pricing in the morning. I think he can get you some better pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ

Give him a PM just to remind him
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #10  
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Safetyfastgt,

Brandon will provide you with pricing in the morning. I think he can get you some better pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ

Give him a PM just to remind him
You guys are great. Thanks.