Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Looking for a little better handling...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

About the plates themselves - if they are 'preset', I wouldn't count on them being set very close to where you want them to be.

No telling about the shop tech. The sharper guys (the "A" and more experienced "B" techs) ought to know how, as long as they're aware that you have the plates installed. A new tech who has camber plates on his own car would, too. Kind of a crap-shoot otherwise, and some guys might not want to do them even after they were told the plates were there. Based on what I've actually observed from the inside, BTW.

Norm
Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
About the plates themselves - if they are 'preset', I wouldn't count on them being set very close to where you want them to be.

No telling about the shop tech. The sharper guys (the "A" and more experienced "B" techs) ought to know how, as long as they're aware that you have the plates installed. A new tech who has camber plates on his own car would, too. Kind of a crap-shoot otherwise, and some guys might not want to do them even after they were told the plates were there. Based on what I've actually observed from the inside, BTW.

Norm
i guess i could just bring a print out of the instructions along and hopefully they are smart enough to figure it out. im sure there will be an extra charge.

what are some good numbers for just a good handling street car to tell them i want it set to?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Depends somewhat on how much of that good handling you actually use, and how often you use it. Just ocasionally with the rest of your driving about on average with the rest of traffic, I'd shoot for something between -1° and maybe -1.3°. Never met a corner you didn't feel a challenge from or back down from? -1.5° or slightly more. Be honest with yourself.

Norm
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

With drops of 1 inch or less on the front, there is a simple solution to camber...and its not camber plates. Don't get me wrong they are great for the track, but not neccesary for a street car imo.
Gt500 strut mounts used with the following instruction...LINK
Has worked like a charm with my FRPP P springs, and does not require further adjustment like the plates.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Just ocasionally with the rest of your driving about on average with the rest of traffic, I'd shoot for something between -1° and maybe -1.3°.
Norm
thats what ill tell them to shoot for.

about springs before i get any...which would be better from a handling aspect...the steeda sports or ultralight?

sport 1" front 1.25" rear
ultralight 1.25 front 1.5" rear.

i believe the roush uses 1" drop front and rear and that sport edition steeda built uses their sport spring.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by -rpark-
thats what ill tell them to shoot for.

about springs before i get any...which would be better from a handling aspect...the steeda sports or ultralight?

sport 1" front 1.25" rear
ultralight 1.25 front 1.5" rear.

i believe the roush uses 1" drop front and rear and that sport edition steeda built uses their sport spring.
This is my (not very important) opinion, the Sports drop less, which is going to lessen issues with bumpsteer and keep the front suspension in a slightly better position of its camber curve, delaying the move towards positive camber during a body roll. I'm not sure what the spring rates are for the ultralites but I doubt the difference is enough have a serious impact on handling. Of course, I could be wrong...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Agreed. Any lowering spring will increase the rear axle roll steer toward more vehicle understeer, but the Sports won't add quite as much. Axle roll steer is related to slalom behavior with lower values generally being preferable.

I suspect that with fairly similar rates and less drop a car with the Sports will take a set to steady-state cornering just a little quicker. Mostly applicable to sweepers at autocross, since most everywhere else there is transient handling.

Norm