Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable shocks really that big of a differance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Default Adjustable shocks really that big of a differance?

ok im looking in getting new shocks and struts. I know everyone says Koni, but they are the highest in price, found a good deal on some strange adjustable that im curious about as well. my question is if i go to the strip like 2-3 times a year are adjustable shock and struts really worth the extra cost, or can i get away just fine with say something like Koni oranges?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

They are worth if you daily drive the vehicle and plan on track racing it as well. They are more a means of daily driving comfort with performance capability at the track. Kind of a best of both worlds situation. Really just depends on if you can justify spending the extra money. I'm hitting the strip and the track this weekend, I'll give you an update of my opinion after the races.

EDIT: I have Koni Yellows BTW.

Last edited by bakerjd; 04-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks, just dont know if i need adjustables on a my DD
Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stephen1371
ok im looking in getting new shocks and struts. I know everyone says Koni, but they are the highest in price, found a good deal on some strange adjustable that im curious about as well. my question is if i go to the strip like 2-3 times a year are adjustable shock and struts really worth the extra cost, or can i get away just fine with say something like Koni oranges?
If you said it's a street car that will see the roadrace track 2-3 times a year, I'd tell you to go with the Konis. But since it's a street car that will see the strip 2-3 times a year, the Strange 10-ways are a good choice!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

ok on the strange, are those more of a strip shock and strut, or are they all around
Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

ok on the strange, are those more of a strip shock and strut, or are they all around
Strange is most known for their drag racing parts... IMO I would go with the Koni's while they are on sale. They are cheaper than the D-Specs and they have a great warranty and are known handling shocks/struts. Will it be noticeable? I bet it would be!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I run Koni orange on my DD. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Koni's. I have heard the orange is the same as the yellows set to full soft.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

looks like i have some decisions to make before i pull the trigger on a set, maybe i should just get the koni yellows you get what you pay for i guess
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

looks like i have some decisions to make before i pull the trigger on a set, maybe i should just get the koni yellows you get what you pay for i guess
FWIW I have koni yellows on my cobra and they are awesome. The car is just street driven at the moment since I just bought it. I havent had a chance to explore their true potential but I doubt I will be disappointed.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

I prefer "Buy once, cry once" Cry because of the price now, but be thankful you wont have to buy them after dropping the coin on a different set that didn't live up to the expectations!

Dampers are a pretty significant change. At least it was for me compared to the stock set up and it's not nearly as easy to change as other stuff is. Bars are easy to change, tires are relatively easy to change, heck, even a Watts link is easy to add or change in comparison to unbolting the front suspension (all of it) to change the shocks/struts. The less you have to do it the better IMO!

Quick Reply: Adjustable shocks really that big of a differance?