Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New autocross class with recent mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, swaybars are pretty open. Those & dampers were 2 of the things I was thinking of. Will need to get new rims before I can dedicate a set to race tires, but that may be in the works down the line. Will those dampers work ok w/stock springs? If so I may be game. Tha ks.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
I would recommend STU over ESP because your street tires stand a chance in that class because the guys in ESP are more likely to run slicks leaving your street tires in the dust. If your GT500 rims are 9" like whiskey11 said I would race STX.
Originally Posted by parchisi
You'll be in STU if in fact the GT500 wheels are 9.5" in width, STX if they are 9" or less. Unless you want to run slicks that is, then its off to ESP.

I run STU and I do ok as a not very experienced driver, but us guys will usually get run over by Subies and Evos with AWD in that class. Its still a lot of fun, and rewarding when you actually can beat one of the AWD machines in your big, heavy, RWD monster.
I guess I should have been clearer about this part:

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
Mustangs 5.0L and below race in STX which limits you to a 9" wide wheel and 265 wide tires. Mustangs with engines larger than 5.0L race in STU with open wheel options and 285 max width tires. There is no crossover anymore for any cars. You are in STX if you are in any 05+ Mustang EXCEPT the GT500.
If your local region allows you to run in STU still, that is nifty but it's technically against the rules NOW per the Street Touring reclassing that happened at the end of last year after nationals and it is in the 2012 Rule set.

That isn't optional anymore sadly, it's required per the 2012 rules. Mustangs 5.0L and below HAVE TO race in STX, no if's, and's, or but's about it. The rules were changed to eliminate class hoping. It sucks pretty badly as 265's are pretty narrow tire for cars like the 2011+ cars pushing a lot of HP. It's not so bad for cars like mine which might make 275 RWHP on a good day.

OP, you should look into your local region's street tire classes. There is a possibility that your region has a Street Tire class for cars in higher prep levels than Stock (Road Tire) or Street Touring.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Wow, I must have completely missed the boat on that one! I heard something about a change in the ST classes and I reread the rules but nothing jumped out at me. Anyways, yeah, I've run with a couple regions in STU and I guess none of them knew either.

Oh well, maybe this will be the thing that finally pushes me to make the jump to ESP. 315 Hoosier A6's all around...BWAHAHAHAHA!

STX wouldn't be all that much worse either I guess...just gotta be more judicious with the throttle.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I must have completely missed the boat on that one! I heard something about a change in the ST classes and I reread the rules but nothing jumped out at me. Anyways, yeah, I've run with a couple regions in STU and I guess none of them knew either.

Oh well, maybe this will be the thing that finally pushes me to make the jump to ESP. 315 Hoosier A6's all around...BWAHAHAHAHA!

STX wouldn't be all that much worse either I guess...just gotta be more judicious with the throttle.
Purple Crack! If you can afford it, go for it! Vorshlag seems to be having an insane amount of fun with their "STX" Mustang on purple crack.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I've been following his trials and tribulations in STX. Been considering springing for his AST coilover setup, but I'm still fairly inexperienced, so I don't know how much it would help me.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I've been following his trials and tribulations in STX. Been considering springing for his AST coilover setup, but I'm still fairly inexperienced, so I don't know how much it would help me.
It's not like the AST's are bad (they aren't) but I think (for what its worth) that starting with a good set of shocks/struts and lowering springs would be better to learn on. Learning to appreciate the upgrades as you will...
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
It's not like the AST's are bad (they aren't) but I think (for what its worth) that starting with a good set of shocks/struts and lowering springs would be better to learn on. Learning to appreciate the upgrades as you will...
All true statements....but I love shiny new parts! But in all reality, I have no reason to switch to slicks or get an expensive new coilover suspension. I'm having too much fun as it is and my current setup actually seems to work pretty darn good.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

All true statements....but I love shiny new parts! But in all reality, I have no reason to switch to slicks or get an expensive new coilover suspension. I'm having too much fun as it is and my current setup actually seems to work pretty darn good.
I hear ya, I can't wait until this weekend when I can finally get my full suspension tested. Just installed the swaybars today and everything else is done!

Anyway, thread hijack underway, time to return it on track!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet
Yeah, swaybars are pretty open. Those & dampers were 2 of the things I was thinking of. Will need to get new rims before I can dedicate a set to race tires, but that may be in the works down the line. Will those dampers work ok w/stock springs? If so I may be game. Tha ks.
Those dampers will work great with stock springs. Give Sam Strano a call, he also has some pretty sweet swaybar packages that he developed for the S197 chassis.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Fridge, Trav is running Koni Yellows with stock springs and he's doing pretty good if you ask me lol...You can always take my stang for a spin if you'd like to see if you'd like the Koni's

Quick Reply: New autocross class with recent mods?