Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Thoughts/Recommendation on Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

Default Thoughts/Recommendation on Suspension Mods

I'm interested in improving the handling of my Mustang (i.e. help it to turn easier, she does push a bit), as I have recently taken up autocross. I would like to remain in the ESP category (bought it used w/a functional CDC Shaker), and don't want to lower the car at this time, as I live in a rural area and frequently encounter potential clearance issues. I'm on a bit of a budget w/respect to upgrades right now but I also understand that you get what you pay for and that some upgrades are best done concurrently with others. Based on my attempts to understand the SCCA rule book it seems that springs/shocks and anti-roll bars are areas I could work with fairly freely, but I'm sure there are other things I could do, too. I've read the Suspension Guide posted, and while quite helpful am still in need of some guidance. Any suggestions on where a novice autocrosser might begin are appreciated. Thanks.

- Neal
Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the world of AX

I have been doing it for several years and a blast. Actually, heading up this weekeend, if my car is all done *hope, hope hope* I don't know all the rules of classes and such, as I built my car to be exactly the way I wanted it and let 'em put me in whatever class they want

Norm would be the go-to one here, as he is far better versed in what changes class, via mods. I wont even begin to tell you how to stay in whatever class you want to be

Jazzer
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, Jazzer. Your tire advice from a year ago was quite helpful, though much more AX & I'll need a new set of Dunlops pronto.

From reading some of the other threads it seems like you're not an advocate of just upgrading the anti-roll bars, which seems to be the cheapest & easiest option & is also unrestricted for street prepared. Most of the performance springs I've found also require lowering, which makes shocks/struts appear to be more $$$ an upgrade than they initially appear.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If one is looking to JUST install a new set of sway bars, it would be best to get a pair matched to work together on an othewise OEM Stang. They are a tuning device and although the Mustang, and most American cars, have a "built-in" understeer tendency, it is not always a good idea to just replace them with one found on a performance shoppe.

The S197 has a better overall balance, in terms of suspension, than the earlier years, but a bit more rear bar might be a good thing. This is totally up Norms alley, so I think moving this thread to the S197 Handling Performance section would be best for you. The pepes over there are vastly better versed on the S197 and the AX rules/classes than I and be of much more help

Jazzer
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion the three biggest mods outside of the drivers mod were tires, shocks/struts, and watts link. Your mileage may vary. Suspension is a system though so changing one thing can make a larger difference when it is supported by other components. In my case I ran an event, my first event in STX on tires (star specs), D-specs, and the Fays2 watts link. It felt great but not nearly as nice with the rest of the suspension.

ESP is a bit more lenient on body and power mods but the suspension allowances are pretty much identical to ST but with no tire or wheel restrictions.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! I'll likely do shocks/struts next, & tires once I get another set of rims. Better start saving my nickels & dimes....

And if anyone has any further info re: anti-roll bars, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Fridge56Vet; 04-18-2012 at 10:56 PM.