Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Local dealer won't install Steeda Springs....

Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Default Local dealer won't install Steeda Springs....

Just had a call in to my local Ford Dealer about installing my steeda springs, hd strut mounts, panhard bar and tokico shocks and struts. Took them 24 hours to call me back and then they stated they wouldn't install aftermarket parts....

You guys ever hear of this? Guess I'll just do it myself after all lol.

They do install Roush suspension there....I thought that was aftermarket too...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

It may be based on them selling them to you vs you bringing in the parts.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

That stuff is all pretty easy to install find a few tall jack stands and go for it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjr1973
Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
Local auto parts stores rent out spring compressors for MacPhearson struts at NO charge to you... At least my local O'Reiley's store did...

The install is pretty easy, the hard part is the alignment. You can do it yourself if you are confident enough to do it. I played a dealership's race team to set mine up with the Steeda HD plates, only charged me for a standard alignment but allowed me to specify my own alignment specifications.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Yup, the install is pretty simple. Some simple hand tools, spring compressor, and you're set...easy day! There are plenty of write-ups around the interwebs too. I would probably take the car someplace though for the alignment. Although I once had a shop refuse to set the camber using the camber plates, they insisted on elongating the control arm bolt holes. I told them to just adjust the camber plates but they said it "doesn't work that way." I LOL'd at them and left.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Yup, the install is pretty simple. Some simple hand tools, spring compressor, and you're set...easy day! There are plenty of write-ups around the interwebs too. I would probably take the car someplace though for the alignment. Although I once had a shop refuse to set the camber using the camber plates, they insisted on elongating the control arm bolt holes. I told them to just adjust the camber plates but they said it "doesn't work that way." I LOL'd at them and left.
Lol. I would have run from that place after hearing that! Jeez...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
Local auto parts stores rent out spring compressors for MacPhearson struts at NO charge to you... At least my local O'Reiley's store did...

The install is pretty easy, the hard part is the alignment. You can do it yourself if you are confident enough to do it. I played a dealership's race team to set mine up with the Steeda HD plates, only charged me for a standard alignment but allowed me to specify my own alignment specifications.
What specs did you go with? Strano recommended I go with 1.5 neg camber and 0 toe as a decent all around set up. I hope that doesn't eat my tires too fast.

I borrowed a spring compressor from o'reilley as well. $55 deposit that I got back when I returned the tool.

Last edited by safetyfastgt; 04-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

That is a good question safety. I was going to have it set to stock specs when I get everything aligned....

Is that correct? I'm not doing autocross or anything like that. It's not even daily driver. I just don't want my tires wearing weird or anything. I have staggered wheels and tires and can't rotate them.

Anyone answer that?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjr1973
I borrowed the spring compressor from autozone. I had to put down a deposit, which they give back when you return. If I recall correctly, the deposit is the same amount as what it would cost to purchase the spring compressor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Local dealer won't install Steeda Springs....