Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Do 2010+ TPMS sensors fit 2007 GT500 OEM wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Default Do 2010+ TPMS sensors fit 2007 GT500 OEM wheels?

I've got a 2010 GT and recently picked up a used set of 2007 GT500 OEM wheels sans tires and band-type TPMS sensors. What I want to know is if the OEM TPMS sensors as in my 2010 GT will fit ok in the 2007 GT500 OEM wheels. I had read somewhere that they don't fit for some reason, but it seems like they should fit fine just from looking at them.

I'm aware that the old style band type TPMS sensors do not work with the TPMS system in my 2010 GT. I just want to make sure the new 2010+ TPMS sensors will work in the 2007 wheels before I buy another set of sensors.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Got my answer in another forum; JAJ says they definitely do work.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

wheels and sensors are independent of each other. Get the wheels you want and install the correct sensors for your year of car. If your OEM is the band style install the band style. If your OEM style is on the air valve, install the air valve style.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
wheels and sensors are independent of each other. Get the wheels you want and install the correct sensors for your year of car. If your OEM is the band style install the band style. If your OEM style is on the air valve, install the air valve style.
You can now get the valve stem style for both the old and new versions, but tou still need to make sure you get the right version.

Onlt thing I can add is just the obligatory, make sure the bands are removed when putting on the 2010 plus sensors.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Yup, the wheels are totally bare; guy that had them before took the band sensors off and put them in another set of wheels. So we're ok there. Just to clarify, I don't think it's much of a problem any more but for a time there were wheels that wouldn't accomodate certain types of TPMS sensors; the sensors simply wouldn't fit properly in the wheel because of where the valve stem hole was etc. That was my concern. Thankfully an unfounded one in this case .
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently running 2007 GT500 wheels with the band sensors on my 2011 GT. I was going to switch to the newer valve stem sensors, but my TPMS light is off. Why? Shouldn't it have come on when I switched wheels? How could my car know what the band sensors are broadcasting?

On a somewhat related topic, one of my OE wheels developed a leak at the valve stem which, ironically, may have been caused by the stem mounted sensor. My car saw the track a fair amount with the OE wheels, including 4 days at the Mosport GP track. Mosport is very fast, and I suspect that the additional stresses placed on the valve stem by the sensor at 220 kph were just too much. Any thoughts?

Maybe those of us who go to the track regularly should just run without the sensors. Is the stability control affected if the TPMS light is on?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

excuse the bump, I just created a new thread asking the same thing. Ansibe I just went from 08 to 11 stock mustang wheels and i too did not get the TPMS light. I feel better now knowing i was not the only one. They must be picking up the signal from the new stock wheels. I was worried that each sender had a hardware address like in computers but I guess these are compatible.
Unless im wrong. Anyone else jump years in OE wheels without a problem?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

I have no sensors in my track wheels, but I do have Motorcraft TPMS-12 (OEM) sensors in my various sets of street rims and tires. My 2011 automatically "connects" to whatever set of rims I'm running on.

I don't typically get a TPMS warning with my track wheels until I'm about 30 km from home. Otherwise they don't trip the light, even when I use them for daily driving for a week between track events.

As far as I can tell (ie - guess) the car's detectors successfully connect to the sensors in the street wheels that are stacked in the garage behind the car when I start it up. That resets the system, and it takes about 30 km before it figures out that we left the sensors behind when we drove out of the garage.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the posts. I feel better now that my TPMS isn't broken. JAJ, I think you're right, but I'm also guessing.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

I just installed new wheels and tires on my 11.old 19's had bands, the new wheels have stems.I too did not get the fault for almost a week, then poof it is on.tires still have same pressure.sorta bummed but going to take it in for calibration

Quick Reply: Do 2010+ TPMS sensors fit 2007 GT500 OEM wheels?