Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Torsen vs Trac-Loc differentials

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Default Torsen vs Trac-Loc differentials

How much of a difference would a torsen be compared to a trac loc. Ive noticed my 8.8 trac lock possibly slightly slipping on some right hand turns (mainly on my 2003 mustang) but also mabe a little slip during sharp right handers in my 2011 now that i have good wide sticky rear tires.

How much different are the torsen differentials and what do they do better? Are they significantly better for handling in some way? And is it possible and easy to swap out a trac lock for a torsen?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
How much of a difference would a torsen be compared to a trac loc. Ive noticed my 8.8 trac lock possibly slightly slipping on some right hand turns (mainly on my 2003 mustang) but also mabe a little slip during sharp right handers in my 2011 now that i have good wide sticky rear tires.

How much different are the torsen differentials and what do they do better? Are they significantly better for handling in some way? And is it possible and easy to swap out a trac lock for a torsen?
Well a gear type diff requires less maintenance and is supposed to be able to apply power to the outside wheel when turning but they can't apply torque when a powered wheel is off the ground not that you will lift one via a sway bar on our cars but if it gets airborn off track curbing.

They are however more complicated and at least Torsen, are more prone to breakage especially with super sticky tires. Their ability to apply torque to the gripping wheel is called the bias ratio. Higher is better. The Detroit TruTrack has a 2.5:1 ratio, the T2R is much higher than that but it will depend on which model you get.

A clutch type can apply power when one is lightened but only as long as the clutch packs are in good shape and there is sufficient preload. It certainly is cheaper to rebuild the stock diff than to replace but it isn't necessarily better than a gear diff.

I have been contemplating the eaton trutrack gear diff since I hear it is less prone to self explosion but its lower bias ratio may not make it noticeably better than the stock diff in autocross, just longer lasting (hopefully). I keep hearing Torsen owners say "rebuild or replace your Torsen every season" and I think it is too expensive of a differential to do that with...