Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Getting new lowering springs. What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
There has to be more than just the change in PHB inclination at work here. Simple geometry-wise, even a 1/4" shift needs at least 4.5" lowering. The only thing I can think of is that there's some odd problem with bushing deformation going on, which raises the question of bushing durability with the OE PHB.

So I wonder if loosening the PHB bolts before letting the car drop down lower on the new springs - and then rolling the car back and forth a few feet before retorquing them - would hold these axle shifts down to more reasonable numbers.

Norm
Interesting question. I can say that for my car, I tightened the PHB with the car under a load, not with the axle suspended. Another interesting tidbit is that plenty of people report having their rear ends offset when their cars are 100% stock.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Interesting question. I can say that for my car, I tightened the PHB with the car under a load, not with the axle suspended. Another interesting tidbit is that plenty of people report having their rear ends offset when their cars are 100% stock.
Being a newbie to the Mustang world can you or someone explain the procedure to measure the offset with the car under a load.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mojobama
Being a newbie to the Mustang world can you or someone explain the procedure to measure the offset with the car under a load.

Thanks
With the car sitting on the ground, tape a piece of string to your quarter panel. Tie a lugnut to the end of the string. Measure the distance between the sidewall and the string.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
With the car sitting on the ground, tape a piece of string to your quarter panel. Tie a lugnut to the end of the string. Measure the distance between the sidewall and the string.

Thanks, I'll check that out tomorrow and if necessary will definitely get your adjustable PHB if necessary since lowering.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

I'm replacing my stock 17" rims and tires soon with the combo 18" combo set from American Muscle and would most definitely lower it. So my understanding from reading some of these recommendations would be:

A. Inexpensive, lowering springs and panhard bar
B. The whole 9 yards (shocks, struts, springs, sway bars ect.) Would the panhard bar have to be added to this set up also?

I'm a weekend driver and sometimes I like push it a little bit but I want to be able to tolerate a 4 hr ride to Vegas. The Eibach Pro set up at American Muscle looks like a good bargain. Also, I think that the better the suspension the less tire wear. I guess the question is how serious do I really want to get?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 PM
07graygt
2nd Gear Member

I just did my 07 gt. the only thing i replaced was the springs. took it to the alignment shop had it aligned shop said everything was good. I does ride a little stiff cuz i didnt change shock or struts. but i think its fine as for axle shifting i had no problems with that, but that maybe just my car. i used ford k springs and its a good look. i plan on running 255 45 18s in the front and 285 40 18s in the rear.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
There has to be more than just the change in PHB inclination at work here. Simple geometry-wise, even a 1/4" shift needs at least 4.5" lowering. The only thing I can think of is that there's some odd problem with bushing deformation going on, which raises the question of bushing durability with the OE PHB.

So I wonder if loosening the PHB bolts before letting the car drop down lower on the new springs - and then rolling the car back and forth a few feet before retorquing them - would hold these axle shifts down to more reasonable numbers.

Norm

44" PH bar at a 3 degree angle from the road surface
at ride height. Lower vehicle 2 inches and there is
not 1/4" of sideways movement. I am going with Norm
on this one and say that the OEM PH bar is either not
of the correct length from the factory OEM and lowering
just compounds this issue further or the failure of loosening
the PH mounting bolts when the loweringsprings are installed
and thghtening them back up with the rear end at ride height.
I went with the Prothane PH bushings and the rear end is
centered nicely. Tightening at ride height is not needed with
poly bushings unlike the OEM molded to rubber bushings.
In fact, my stang has more Prothane bushings on it than OEM
rubber bushings at this point. As the removed rubber bushings
bag in the garage would suggest.

Last edited by 157dB; 07-21-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
vistablue46

Question

...got a question:

At thes moderat lowering levels around 1.5" is there a need for an adjustable UCA?

I have the FRPP shocks and springs from the handling pack for my vert.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vistablue46
...got a question:

At thes moderat lowering levels around 1.5" is there a need for an adjustable UCA?

I have the FRPP shocks and springs from the handling pack for my vert.
We do recommend them for anytime you lower the vehicle, as anytime you lower it you're changing the pinion angle.

It all depends on what your purposes are, the amount of drop, and ultimately what you find acceptable.

We've got a real solid adjustable UCA here: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...ntrol-arm.html

Let me know if I can help you with that.