Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Weekend at barber

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Default Weekend at barber

Just got done with another track weekend at barber. Unfortunately i was placed in Group 4 (most advanced unless you instruct) where i was like 1 of 4 people just using street tires, oh well. The Porsche driving school had a bit of a treat for us where Cass Whitehead and Andy Davis took us around for a couple of laps in the yet unreleased new boxster (red one pictured below). Not only did the Boxster handle unlike anything i have driven before (even in comparison to the CaymanS) it was absolutely wonderful to see professional racing drivers at work.

My quickest times were in the very high 1'40's when i absolutely pushed it and i averaged in the 1'53-1'55 on my quick laps. The Mustang still has a massive problem with overheating and i had to slow to a 2 min pace to allow the car to catch its breath... some upgrades are in the near future to address that.

The GOPRO acted up for most of the weekend and i could only get my very first session, and my very last session, the videos are being uploaded to the youtube now and links will be added later. For now Enjoy:

Here is a quick video of a parade lap: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151035222328582

Some Pictures:

Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
RollTide87
1st Gear Member

Barber is awesome. I ran with the BMW club Memorial Day weekend. I am planning to do the next Porsche club event in December. Maybe I will see you at the track.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I'm so envious! I've heard Barber is fantastic, not just the track but the whole facility. Maybe someday I will get down there. What I'd really like to do is attend the Porsche school, now that would be cool. I've ridden shotgun with a Pro driver and agree with you, it is wonderful to see them in action. On the other hand it also points out how slow you are...LOL.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I'm so envious! I've heard Barber is fantastic, not just the track but the whole facility. Maybe someday I will get down there. What I'd really like to do is attend the Porsche school, now that would be cool. I've ridden shotgun with a Pro driver and agree with you, it is wonderful to see them in action. On the other hand it also points out how slow you are...LOL.
The entire facility is superbly well kept, I would go a far to say that it is the ritz in comparison to the traditional motel like tracks I visit.

The Porsche driving school is really great. My dad is lucky enough to live just 2 hours away and just kinda goes down on a whim.

I would just love to have a track to myself for a week so I could be a bit more comfortable pushing the car harder.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RollTide87
Barber is awesome. I ran with the BMW club Memorial Day weekend. I am planning to do the next Porsche club event in December. Maybe I will see you at the track.
Ill probably be there. The mustang group at these Porsche club events have grown significantly since I started.Lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 AM
RollTide87
1st Gear Member

I noticed there were a few more Mustangs running with the BMW club this time as well. Last year, I think I was the only one.

I hope to run in December. I need to get brake ducts prior to then. I was having to back down for a lap to cool the brakes after a couple of hot laps.

You are right about Barber being a beautiful facility. I rode with one of the instructors and he was pointing out all the sculptures around the track on our cool down lap. I was aware of some but others I had never seen before. The landscaping and facilities are fantastic.