Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Only upgrading GT rear sway bar. Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Only upgrading GT rear sway bar. Good idea?

After much thought, I have decided on Koni yellows, Steeda HD mounts, and either steeda sports (most likely) or Steeda Ultralites (wonder if the added drop is worth it).

Since I am on a budget, and since I am going with more expensive shocks, I have decided to tackle the install job myself. Been reading the write-ups and watching youtube vids.

If I can accomplish the install myself, that leaves enough in the budget for sway bars too.

In all this re-reading I came across some threads that had numerous well written posts from the likes of F1Fan etc. back when the S197 first debuted. The overall recommendation at that time was that the GT front sway was good but that the rear was the weak link and that to only upsize the rear bar. This would result in a better balance with the front and reduce understeer. At that time, the bigger companies (eibach, FRP, steeda, Hotchkiss, BMR) that had replacement front bars were 35 mm bars that were either tubular or solid. All of them were only increasing the front bar stiffness buy 10%. Since the front bars were not adding significant stiffness (rear bars were increasing stiffness by 50%), and increasing the front bar stiffness would just increase understeer, most everyone at the time was saying just get a bigger rear bar.

Only getting one sway bar helps my budget but is this still a good recommendation? I can always add a bigger front bar later when my budget allows and if I feel the balance and body roll needs further improvement, but is this a good idea still?

I plan on getting Strano's rear 1 inch tubular adjustable bar.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 AM
jalalGT

am also going with the same setup as yours but with steeda sports and now you mention the rear sway bar thing i might consider that as well , am completely noob when it come to the suspension thing and started to read here and there and i came up with this setup am also considering steeda LCA!! what you think about that .

sorry for hijacking your post but it seams you and i in the same boat
Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

The front bar on my 2010 (not sure about previous models) is 34.6mm compared to most 35mm aftermarket bars. I did install FRPP's adjustable front bar because of the adjustability of the bar. I autocross and notice a lot less understeer after adjusting the bar. I do have their rear bar as well. After installing FRPP P springs about a week ago I think I need to adjust it again to make up for the increased oversteer I have now. If you do get a bar, try to get one you can adjust.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jalalGT
am completely noob when it come to the suspension thing and started to read here and there and i came up with this setup am also considering steeda LCA!! what you think about that.
LCAs are fine, if you get adjustables you will able to correct your pinion angle after lowering if needed. I have both a one piece DS and adj LCAs.

I also plan on getting adj sways.

J95SNAKE, so after you lowered it u picked up more oversteer so you made the front adj sway bar stiffer to bring in more understeer? Why didn't you just adjust ur rear bar to take away some oversteer?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
LCAs are fine, if you get adjustables you will able to correct your pinion angle after lowering if needed. I have both a one piece DS and adj LCAs.

J95SNAKE, so after you lowered it u picked up more oversteer so you made the front adj sway bar stiffer to bring in more understeer? Why didn't you just adjust ur rear bar to take away some oversteer?
The car was pretty neutral prior to the spring install. It did have understeer and we adjusted the front bar to bring it closer to neutral to fix it. Since the spring install the tail wants to come around a bit easier than before. I did notice I was all over the bump stops. Cut them down to the size of the eibachs which helped but I think I need to adjust the front bar again. My rear bar is not adjustable. Both bars are the FRPP ones that I believe come with the FR3 kit but I'm not sure.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 AM
jalalGT

sounds good i was thinking about normal LCAs or adj but i'll go with the adj one now thanks for the infos
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

After much thought, I have decided on Koni yellows, Steeda HD mounts, and either steeda sports (most likely) or Steeda Ultralites (wonder if the added drop is worth it).

Since I am on a budget, and since I am going with more expensive shocks, I have decided to tackle the install job myself. Been reading the write-ups and watching youtube vids.

If I can accomplish the install myself, that leaves enough in the budget for sway bars too.

In all this re-reading I came across some threads that had numerous well written posts from the likes of F1Fan etc. back when the S197 first debuted. The overall recommendation at that time was that the GT front sway was good but that the rear was the weak link and that to only upsize the rear bar. This would result in a better balance with the front and reduce understeer. At that time, the bigger companies (eibach, FRP, steeda, Hotchkiss, BMR) that had replacement front bars were 35 mm bars that were either tubular or solid. All of them were only increasing the front bar stiffness buy 10%. Since the front bars were not adding significant stiffness (rear bars were increasing stiffness by 50%), and increasing the front bar stiffness would just increase understeer, most everyone at the time was saying just get a bigger rear bar.

Only getting one sway bar helps my budget but is this still a good recommendation? I can always add a bigger front bar later when my budget allows and if I feel the balance and body roll needs further improvement, but is this a good idea still?

I plan on getting Strano's rear 1 inch tubular adjustable bar.
Is this your daily driver? Do you track it? If so, how often? Need some more info to make a recommendation.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Is this your daily driver? Do you track it? If so, how often? Need some more info to make a recommendation.
Daily driver, aggressively driven. 1 track event a while back when car was new. Plan to go more often after suspension stuff and new pads.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Front and rear sways work together so adding a bigger rear sway
and leaving the OEM front will alter the high speed cornering in a big way.
Be sure and get used to the new handling before throwing it into
a corner at high speeds or swapping lanes in a panic situation
at highway speeds.
This could get ugly really quick with 17" 50 series tall sidewall stock tires/rims.