Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Has anyone removed their panhard bar brace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well it was pouring rain today, so I didn't want to drive down my crappy dirt road to test it with no brace. Instead I removed it and cut the lip off. I tried bending it first, but it wasn't going to happen without some serious heat. It can't weigh more than 3lbs.

Wish I had taken a before picture.

Last edited by moosestang; 09-18-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Yeah I am trying to figure out what part you removed, and judging by the "clean area" I can make a pretty good guess... but that area doesn't even look like it comes near to the exhaust?

If you aren't 100% sure this is the cause, I'd check your muffler hangers... I know the rubber insulator on mine are stretched/worn so every time I hit a bump the metal of the hanger hits the metal of the actual muffler hanger bracket and the sound makes it sound like it's the panhard hitting the exhaust... food for thought?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Clean your undercarriage :P
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd advise against removing it. I installed UPR's PHB brace on my car. No clearance issues.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...-brace-05.html
Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Yeah I am trying to figure out what part you removed, and judging by the "clean area" I can make a pretty good guess... but that area doesn't even look like it comes near to the exhaust?

If you aren't 100% sure this is the cause, I'd check your muffler hangers... I know the rubber insulator on mine are stretched/worn so every time I hit a bump the metal of the hanger hits the metal of the actual muffler hanger bracket and the sound makes it sound like it's the panhard hitting the exhaust... food for thought?
The panhard rod was hitting the brace. I'm not worried about the exhaust. That's not a clean area, it's fresh paint.

I removed the lip that hangs down on the forward facing side and ground down both sides. You can see wear the lip starts in this pic, it used to run the full length. I'll know tomorrow if it's still hitting.

Last edited by moosestang; 09-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Clean your undercarriage :P
It wouldn't do any good, it rains every other day in Florida and how would you recommend cleaning it, a creeper and jack stands?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Ooops, I have a tendency to over look it. (Your original post said your exhaust hits it... kinda selected past the "and now my phb hits it.) Ah well, I hope it solves your problem. This a temporary fix or you plan on leaving it like this? Doesn't look like a big hit to the rigidity of the piece but who knows...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Ugh, I hate the mud in the south.. Same crap in Georgia so I feel your pain..
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I'd advise against removing it. I installed UPR's PHB brace on my car. No clearance issues.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...-brace-05.html
Is your car lowered and do you have the panhard rod relocation bracket installed? I never had a problem with it hitting the brace until moving the bar further back.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Ooops, I have a tendency to over look it. (Your original post said your exhaust hits it... kinda selected past the "and now my phb hits it.) Ah well, I hope it solves your problem. This a temporary fix or you plan on leaving it like this? Doesn't look like a big hit to the rigidity of the piece but who knows...
Temporary, but who knows. My exhaust will rattle on the brace, but only when my dirt road is really bumpy. The exhaust doesn't rattle on the street.

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed their panhard bar brace?