Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

I want my GT to handle as good as or better than a Boss

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I havent driven a boss, but i heard they handle nearly as good as a M3.

The current damper settings that I have found are most comfortable and livable for the streets is full soft on the rear dampers, 1 full turn in toward hardness on the fronts.

I took a few turns again and the roll isnt actually that bad or noticble, the car does handle a ton better than with the stock tires and suspension. I do like how its alot harder to break the rear loose in the corners, defiantly gives alot of confidence. I do still break the tires loose in a straight line though somehow.. in 2nd gear with 3.31's at like 30 mph. I credit the engine for that, along with cooler temperatures.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I havent driven a boss, but i heard they handle nearly as good as a M3.

The current damper settings that I have found are most comfortable and livable for the streets is full soft on the rear dampers, 1 full turn in toward hardness on the fronts.

I took a few turns again and the roll isnt actually that bad or noticble, the car does handle a ton better than with the stock tires and suspension. I do like how its alot harder to break the rear loose in the corners, defiantly gives alot of confidence. I do still break the tires loose in a straight line though somehow.. in 2nd gear with 3.31's at like 30 mph. I credit the engine for that, along with cooler temperatures.
Ok, I really don't want this to come out wrong but I have to point out why what I do isn't easy.

This started with comparing to a Boss... but you've never driven one, so it's not a valid comparison. I have, and I promise you have a better setup. As for them handling "nearly as well" an M3... um. I don't think so, and again feel what you have is more like an M3 than a Boss is.

You don't tell me what other shock settings you've tried and/or what changes. If what you run after playing around is what you like best, then ok. But I don't know if you've tried 1/4 turn changes on the rear, or 1 turn changes, etc. That's a big difference.

This is where I often get myself in trouble. I work *so hard* to try and make sure folks get stuff that will make them happy that I have to ask a lot of questions, and sometimes that can be frustrating to those that just "want my car to handle better" and don't actually give much thought to what it is they actually want to change. I cannot, as much as I sometimes would like to, just do the easy thing and say "sure that'll be great, or do this" without background to know that it's the right recommendation. I know I probably lose a lot of sales that way, and it's tough to know that sometimes folks will ignore your good advice to just get what they think they want. But as long as I have a conscience that guides me to do the right thing, I have to live with that.

So, in short.... you need to help me, help you. I'm not a mind-reader, and pretty much everyone says they want the same thing, even though when you get down to it, they often don't. So I have to work case by case. Luckily I seem to do this well enough that I get a lot of referral business, and stay pretty well busy all the time. I, like anyone, hate when sales walk away, but I can't make everyone happy because I'm not a yes man.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

OP

I am surprised this thread has gotten so much attention from the suspension gurus despite your astonishing lack of specific feedback to their questions. You want your car to handle better than a car you have never driven but according to hearsay performs like an "M3". And yet based on your mods, your car should already handle better than both. Your current shock setting sounds like you like a compliant ride based on full soft in the rear and 1 full turn from full soft on the front. As Sam said, in order for you to move forward with a suspension set up that fits your wants best, he needs specifics. It's probably best to just call him as a lot can be accomplished in a short amount of time.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
OP

I am surprised this thread has gotten so much attention from the suspension gurus despite your astonishing lack of specific feedback to their questions. You want your car to handle better than a car you have never driven but according to hearsay performs like an "M3". And yet based on your mods, your car should already handle better than both. Your current shock setting sounds like you like a compliant ride based on full soft in the rear and 1 full turn from full soft on the front. As Sam said, in order for you to move forward with a suspension set up that fits your wants best, he needs specifics. It's probably best to just call him as a lot can be accomplished in a short amount of time.
I have provided feedback as specific as I can. Its hard to say exactly what i want other than increased handling performance, feel, control-ability and have more performance potential than it used to.. which i think is every persons goal to have a car that is considered superior. I have called sam and i did order my struts from him. It is a daily driver so it cant be too harsh, id like to add performance without adding much harshness if thats even possible.

Do the subframe connectors do anything for these cars? Ive read some good reviews of the bolt in subframe connectors like these : http://www.americanmuscle.com/compen...rame-0510.html

Some people say its totally unnecessary to have them. But recently i read about a guy with an 07 gt500 getting a torque crease in his roof here :

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...of-damage.html

So that's why i considered these. If they would provide more stability in the corners, or predictability/flatness or other benefits without much sacrifice i think they may be worth it.

But basically i think everyones goal is similar, add as much performance potential and increase the handling performance characteristics for the better as much as possible with as little sacrifice of ride quality as possible.. Add as much positive beneficial things and characteristics with none or little as possible negative.

Also, the most worthwhile and cost effective mods 1st...

I dont drag it, and i dont autocross, so mabe ive done everything worthwhile in terms of practical and worthwhile suspension mods for now.

Last edited by Andy13186; 11-08-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

Your car is great just like it is. I wouldn't worry about it as has been stated its already better than a BOSS or M. One thing you can do is to go the the Friday Track Day at Summit Point, VA. It gives you four rides with an instructor and lots of track time. Great fun and you will learn to handle you car.

Last edited by Rolling13; 11-08-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For a street-driven normally-aspirated S197 on street tires, subframe connectors are not necessary. Period.

The top S197s that have been autocrossed in F-Stock and E-Street Prepared aren't using them, and the cornering/handling demands for those cars far exceed any driving that you are contemplating. Even what STX requires with its less grippy rubber is still more than you'll ever be able to get at in street driving that's anywhere near sane, and they don't use SFCs either.

Things might be different at/above the drag-raced and drag-radialed big-power GT500 level, but at that point you'd really want the SFCs welded in to get all the benefit you could. Even so, SFCs don't add a whole lot of torsional chassis stiffness.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-08-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
david tittermary

op, get on a track and see what you got the street is not going to do it unless that's all you do and if thats the case then you got more then you need, going by what you have heard and what people tell you will get you no where.

to Sam S., you learn how to drive a car yet? or you still playing with those damn cones in a parking lot?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I have provided feedback as specific as I can. Its hard to say exactly what i want other than increased handling performance, feel, control-ability and have more performance potential than it used to.. which i think is every persons goal to have a car that is considered superior. I have called sam and i did order my struts from him. It is a daily driver so it cant be too harsh, id like to add performance without adding much harshness if thats even possible.

Do the subframe connectors do anything for these cars? Ive read some good reviews of the bolt in subframe connectors like these : http://www.americanmuscle.com/compen...rame-0510.html

Some people say its totally unnecessary to have them. But recently i read about a guy with an 07 gt500 getting a torque crease in his roof here :

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...of-damage.html

So that's why i considered these. If they would provide more stability in the corners, or predictability/flatness or other benefits without much sacrifice i think they may be worth it.

But basically i think everyones goal is similar, add as much performance potential and increase the handling performance characteristics for the better as much as possible with as little sacrifice of ride quality as possible.. Add as much positive beneficial things and characteristics with none or little as possible negative.

Also, the most worthwhile and cost effective mods 1st...

I dont drag it, and i dont autocross, so mabe ive done everything worthwhile in terms of practical and worthwhile suspension mods for now.

When I called sam looking for my suspension I was in the same boat as you. I didn't really know what I wanted. I just wanted to make the car drive like it was on rails. That didn't help him much. The best advice I ever got was to go drive the car for a weekend and write down five things I didn't like. I came up with four and now have a suspension that does everything I want it to and more.

Long story short, drive your car and come up with 5 things you don't like. Call Sam and I can assure you he will help you get what you want from your car. And remember, your car doesn't know if it's on a track or the street
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by david tittermary
op, get on a track and see what you got the street is not going to do it unless that's all you do and if thats the case then you got more then you need, going by what you have heard and what people tell you will get you no where.

to Sam S., you learn how to drive a car yet? or you still playing with those damn cones in a parking lot?
Well there's a blast from the past. For those watching, he's being sarcastic (note the smiley face). I still prefer to autocross, but I do some track days here and there to kill time between, you know... winning at the most pure handling discipline there is.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverstang23
When I called sam looking for my suspension I was in the same boat as you. I didn't really know what I wanted. I just wanted to make the car drive like it was on rails. That didn't help him much. The best advice I ever got was to go drive the car for a weekend and write down five things I didn't like. I came up with four and now have a suspension that does everything I want it to and more.

Long story short, drive your car and come up with 5 things you don't like. Call Sam and I can assure you he will help you get what you want from your car. And remember, your car doesn't know if it's on a track or the street
Um, yep. I know it can be frustrating, everyone would prefer things to just be simple. I want this and *ding* it's done. Well, doesn't work that way, not if you want a well thought out, complete setup. You do a lot of things to make the car "better". But what do I mean by better, and why is it in quotes????? That's my point, I can say it, but it doesn't mean much. But if I tell you the car will feel more planted, or roll less, or take a setup faster, or ride differently in this way or that, it makes more sense, right? Well, that's a two way street.

Quick Reply: I want my GT to handle as good as or better than a Boss