Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

are caster camber plates really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shelty
i'll scratch the eilbach camber bolts off the list.would rather not have any issues due to them and just spend more money on the steeda plates and do it right. I am much more of a do it once and do it right kind of person. lol

if I ever look to get more performance from the car i can always swap stuff later but for now she is just gonna be a fast street car,and my DD when I dont need the company car.

you mention that the toe setting is what eats tires, but unless I am wrong, toe is adjusted with the tie rods correct?

The Steeda strut mounts are nice but if you're going to spend 350 for CC plates you should get some that have more adjustment than +1/-1. Camber bolts will do you just fine, there isn't too many people complaining about bolts breaking on them.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I was gonna go with these. reviews of them look pretty good,and they are not badly priced, cheaper than the steeda plates.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-c...er-plates.html

like I said, I dont have any intentions of racing this car in the near or remote future. caster and camber plates would be overkill/unnecessary

I am only looking to make the investment in the J&M plates because I do plan on upgrading the wheels and tires from the stock 17 inch rims to some 19 inch SVE Drift wheels eventually. I imagine that with wider and taller tires the camber/alignment would need an adjustment.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

also reading, i read something about the front strut bolts are a 1 time use bolt? I am gonna be swapping out the stock struts, so I would be correct in ordering new bolts?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I have the J&M camber plates. Quality built units. I'm lowered 1.5" in front; probably more because of the Whipple. They corrected my camber.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

My experience using gt500 mounts with my drop...worth a read and to date no excessive tire.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ut-mounts.html

Last edited by mayo; 11-30-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
The Steeda strut mounts are nice but if you're going to spend 350 for CC plates you should get some that have more adjustment than +1/-1. Camber bolts will do you just fine, there isn't too many people complaining about bolts breaking on them.
±1° should be plenty for anybody's moderate lowering springs, including the K's.

No flame intended, Jay . . .

There is nothing inherently wrong with accomplishing camber adjustment at the strut to knuckle joint, provided that the revised arrangement meets any and all other Ford OE requirements. That includes maintaining the installation torque for the OE fasteners, which is a general indication of bolt strength, joint "tightness", and resistance to fastener loosening, which are pretty important considerations here.

Even one failure from this cause would be too many, because it is so easily avoided.

Ford's torque spec might be a little conservative, or maybe not given that there was a running production change to stronger fine thread bolts and a higher torque spec. But even though I've been an engineer for 40-odd years (and got pretty good at verifying that deteriorated conditions still met the original service requirements) I would not presume that Ford's torque spec was twice as high as necessary or that I was free to throw half of it away.

You might want to read just the abstract to this paper, keeping in mind that insufficiently tight strut to knuckle bolts can, will, and apparently have contributed to knuckle failures, and will be subject to slipping.

It honestly scares me that these things are accepted by so many folks without question and used without a thought to limitations on car use.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-30-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: rephrased, same words different order
Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Camber bolts aren't what I recommend. In fact if you don't want to fix the camber with adjustable mounts/camber plates, then I recommend you just deal with the camber you get with stock bolts.

Sorry, but I've had camber bolts slip, even Ford's own which are much larger than the aftermarket stuff (which I do in fact sell because some folks will not listen to me no matter what, so I can cater to their wants).

Also 1-2 degrees of adjustment is plenty to get the car back into spec and then some. But there is another reason to do better upper mounts (and not GT500, those aren't adjustable and really aren't better because they don't fix the actually weak part of the Ford design).... And that's to: Fix the weak Ford design. The fact that Ford tells you that you should replace the mounts any time you take the struts apart tells you how crappy they are. That's how often a stock one fails. So you are killing two birds with one stone. And believe me, I have this reputation for not recommending every part the internet says you have to have, but this one is a good one to upgrade.

I prefer Steeda or MM mounts/plates.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Well said Norm Peterson and Sam Strano, it is nice to some real world knowledge expressed here instead of the normal BS guessing.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Buy a digital level.
Check your camber before the lowering job.
Check after the lowering job.
Drive 10,000 miles on a new set of tires.
Read the tires for wear patterns.
Then decide if you need these caster/camber plates...
And dont forget the bump steer thats associated
with lowering. You will need a kit for that as well.
You are throwing Ford alignment specs out the window
when you lower your S197. Keep that in mind.

Dropped spindles is another route you can take.

And dont forget the one time use hardware that needs
replacing. And might as well get the redesigned
strut to spindle bolts while you are at it...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
±1° should be plenty for anybody's moderate lowering springs, including the K's.

No flame intended, Jay . . .

There is nothing inherently wrong with accomplishing camber adjustment at the strut to knuckle joint, provided that the revised arrangement meets any and all other Ford OE requirements. That includes maintaining the installation torque for the OE fasteners, which is a general indication of bolt strength, joint "tightness", and resistance to fastener loosening, which are pretty important considerations here.

Even one failure from this cause would be too many, because it is so easily avoided.

Ford's torque spec might be a little conservative, or maybe not given that there was a running production change to stronger fine thread bolts and a higher torque spec. But even though I've been an engineer for 40-odd years (and got pretty good at verifying that deteriorated conditions still met the original service requirements) I would not presume that Ford's torque spec was twice as high as necessary or that I was free to throw half of it away.

You might want to read just the abstract to this paper, keeping in mind that insufficiently tight strut to knuckle bolts can, will, and apparently have contributed to knuckle failures, and will be subject to slipping.

It honestly scares me that these things are accepted by so many folks without question and used without a thought to limitations on car use.

Norm
I totally understand so no flame felt, just stating personal preference and experience
With what I've seen on just normal DD cars. Personally I recommend vorshlag or ground control CC plates.

Quick Reply: are caster camber plates really needed?