Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Coil over kit or lowering springs and new struts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Default Coil over kit or lowering springs and new struts?

I would like to improve the handling on my 08 GT/CS. The car is mostly street and highway driven with the occasional drag strip run. Highway manners are important as I like to do longer runs with it. I was looking at the eibach pro street coil overs but would like some input on weather that is overkill or should I just look at coils and struts. I like the idea of adjustable ride height with coil overs. Also what other parts are required if switching to coil overs? I plan on adj ph bar cc plates and new sway bars.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Depends on what you find to be the most appealing about the two options. Frankly "coil-overs" are dampers and springs... that happen to offer ride height adjustment. Not all offer damping adjustment which you would want if you really want to have control over how the car drives. It's more important than ride height adjustment.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Sam, you make a good point. I can't imagine changing ride height now that I think about it but I can foresee wanting to change ride quality. I do some long trips and adjusting for a more compliant ride has some appeal. I think I have some more research to do. Thanks again, your reputation is well earned.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by modman42
I would like to improve the handling on my 08 GT/CS. The car is mostly street and highway driven with the occasional drag strip run. Highway manners are important as I like to do longer runs with it. I was looking at the eibach pro street coil overs but would like some input on weather that is overkill or should I just look at coils and struts. I like the idea of adjustable ride height with coil overs. Also what other parts are required if switching to coil overs? I plan on adj ph bar cc plates and new sway bars.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
You described your driving style as street/strip, but then listed more of a handling setup.

One thing to keep in mind about adjustable coilovers is that if you significantly alter your ride height, you should consider re-aligning the car and adjusting the panhard bar. Every time.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html

^there's the setup I'm running, and it works really well all the way around. Handles well, launches well, but it's a daily driver. However, it is not height adjustable.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

If your doing a mild lowering spring/strut/shock combo like a steeda sport, eibach, etc then your pretty good with the cc plates and adj phb as you mentioned. You should be able to easily get everything aligned to spec no problems.

Now if you want to go much lower than these springs using coilovers or an aggressive drop spring set then you may want to start looking into doing something for the pinion angle in the rear. Some guys run an adj upper control arm(which i do) or they use adj lower control arms to get the pinion angle back into proper spec.

When you get to the more aggressive drops you may also want to look into anti-squat brackets for the rear lca's as well. When I went from the Steeda Sports/koni str.t setup to the RideTech air suspension I installed a set of anti squat brackets and it definitely helped the rear end of the car "work" better.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Backwoods

If you are not interested in ride height adjustment, then coil overs are overkill for a street and highway driven car.

If you are interested in being able to adjust ride quality, then a quality adjustable shock like Koni Sports or Tokico D-Specs would better suit your needs. You'd be able to make adjustments at the track for better launches and then retune for either comfort or handling on the drive home.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I am on stock springs and have Strange 10 way adjustable shocks and struts. At the track I adjust them which is done very simply by turning a **** at the base of the shock. For the drive home I switch em back. I bought them for the track but love how they work on the street. The stock shocks just really suck.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

If the drag strip is your thing I'd suggest bmr springs if you plan to lower.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You should watch what you are doing because while "softer" springs are generally not a bad idea for weight transfer, too soft added with the lowering doesn't adequately support the car and you pretty much end up using the bumpstops a lot more as defacto helper springs.