Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upgraded tire suggestions/ need to hook off the line/nitto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

For Max grip stagger with 285/40/18 on the rear and 255/45/18 up front.
The 555's are a great hot/dry tire and ok in the wet. If you have not upgraded your gear above 3.55, you will have all the grip you need in the summer.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Invos are a tire. Nitto Invos.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

I will check out the invos. Nope, the rear gears are stock auto gearing. Any thoughts on the mickey thompson tire in comparison with the nittos? Are both the same grip wise off the line or is one favorable to another in all of your opinions? ( reguardless of what is said on sellers sites)
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Look into the Continental ExtremeContact DW. I got a set of these a few months ago, and man do they ever HOOK. For reference, I have an automatic w/bama tune, intake, and 4.10 gears. I can literally stall the car up to 2 grand and hammer it and the car completely HOOKS even in 30 degree temps. It's crazy how sticky these things are.

I am running staggered though. 285/40 18 rear and 255/45 18 front.

Best part about them is they are the quietest and most comfortable tires I've ever driven on.

The sidewalls are on the softer side, similar to the INVOs, so turn in isn't quite as good as my previous KDW's, but still very good. They are a very stable tire too.

They are also very very good in the rain, and are often praised for their wet performance. You should check out some reviews on these before you purchase.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

There is always a lot of confusion when it comes to the 555 because there are three versions:
- NT555 - street
- NT555R - drag
- NT555RII - track/AX

As pointed out above, for a street car you do not want the drag radials for a couple reasons: 100 tread wear rating will wear out fast, so-so wet weather performance, cushy sidewall so good for hooking on the line kind of sucks for handling. Also for a DD you probably don't want the RII for some of the same reasons - wears out fast and so-so wet weather. I have extensive experience on the RII and think its an awesome tire on a dry track, but it's not a good street tire. So that leaves you with the good old normal 555 street tire. How good is it? Well lots, and lots of people have used it and liked it. Its been around for years - when new it was considered one of the best in its class, but that was a long time ago and many competing, newer designs get better test results nowadays.

I currently have a set of the Continental DWs and think they are awesome for my usage. They are particullary good in the rain. They have a 300 tread wear rating but feel a little 'stickier' than that. They are my only street tires at the moment and I've done several track days (both wet and dry) with them. They howl like a stuck pig on the track (clearly they are not Hoosiers) but never cease to amaze me with how well the hold up to abuse, how progressive and forgiving they are and how much bang for the buck they offer. They are not the best at anything but they are very good all around tires. They would be OK at AX I suppose, never tried them for dodging cones. No idea how they'd be on a drag strip, not steller I'd think...too stiff of a sidewall. HTH.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys. So I think its safe to say the best bet is the nt555
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Have you considered the BFGoodrich G-force KDW2s ? They are good in wet or dry roads and the tread looks killer (not that that would be a reason to buy a tire) They really excel in cornering.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Rear suspension mods will help with your launch grip.

I like the idea of Nitto NT05s all the way around for normal driving and NT05Rs in the back for street/strip launches.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
Have you considered the BFGoodrich G-force KDW2s ? They are good in wet or dry roads and the tread looks killer (not that that would be a reason to buy a tire) They really excel in cornering.
BFG car tires SUCK! Now, for truck tires, NOTHING beats the performance per dollar of the BFG A/T KO's. They just kick but. The Mud Terrains are awesome as well.

I'm toying with getting the new Mickey Thompson Street Comps. They are more than $100 cheaper than the Pirelli P-Zeros and wear better and perform just about the same.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

I heard of the bfg tires, a guy i know had them on his older mach 1 i believe and loved them. Ill check out the nt05s.

Quick Reply: Upgraded tire suggestions/ need to hook off the line/nitto?