Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upgrade GT Coyote to spank Camaro SS-1LE

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
Also the Boss Suspension is not much different then the Brembo/TP. Slightly stiffer springs 5 way adjustable shocks and a 1mm larger rear swaybar. In fact Terry Fair from Vorshlag states the cars are less then 1 second apart in road coarse times.
Shocks alone can make a night and day difference in the way a car handles. I can't attest directly to the differences between the Boss and Track Pack shocks, but for example replace nothing but the Base GT shocks with Koni Yellows, and it literally becomes a completely different car to drive. I say that with first hand experience.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Black Fire
The brake info is incorrect for the Mustang, Brembo/Track Pack cars have 14 " front rotors and Brembo calipers.
I knew that actually, not sure why I didn't catch it.

Still the Camaro has an advantage in rear brake size and with the larger contact patches is able to make better use of those brakes.

I've said it before, I can't wait to see what we get with the next generation Mustang. Hopefully Ford will learn something from all of this.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Shocks alone can make a night and day difference in the way a car handles. I can't attest directly to the differences between the Boss and Track Pack shocks, but for example replace nothing but the Base GT shocks with Koni Yellows, and it literally becomes a completely different car to drive. I say that with first hand experience.
I agree a quality set of performance shocks can do wonders even on a stock setup. I think that Ford should have done a Watt's Link set up on the Boss also because it would have made the package even better.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve@Tasca
I knew that actually, not sure why I didn't catch it.

Still the Camaro has an advantage in rear brake size and with the larger contact patches is able to make better use of those brakes.

I've said it before, I can't wait to see what we get with the next generation Mustang. Hopefully Ford will learn something from all of this.
The Camaro has a slightly stronger argument for larger rear rotors, given that it starts out with a slightly greater percentage of its static weight being carried back there. Additionally, the Camaro's longer wheelbase directly reduces the amount of load transferred forward under braking, and the Camaro's CG height may well be the same or even lower than the Mustang's (pushrod engine CGs tend to be lower than the CGs for OHC engines, and the listed overall height is lower).

Those differences are not enough to justify 14.4" rotors vs 11.8", so you'd have to look at master cylinder and rear caliper piston diameters, where I'd expect to find the Camaro's to be slightly different from the Mustang's (either a larger rear M/C bore, smaller rear wheel cylinders, or both).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-22-2013 at 03:32 PM.