Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2005 LCA replacement suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 PM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

Default 2005 LCA replacement suggestions

Took the car over to NTB for a quick oil change and tire rotation/balance and of course they always find something else that needs fixing They're telling me the lower balljoints have a lot of play in them and need to be replaced, but his requires replacing the entire LCA. Also saying my outer tie rods should be replaced soon. Seeing as the car just hit 100,000 I'm not all that surprised.

Just looking for any opinions on what kind of aftermarket parts I should go with. I figured I should go ahead and replace the struts as well. I wouldn't mind doing some lowering springs as well, but I don't see that in the financial cards at this point in time. Maybe later. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have replacement ball-joints for the car, they fit into your stock arms. Can also help with tie-rods, etc.

Sam
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

There are a couple of companies which make taller ball joints for lowered cars. If you think lowering springs are in the works for your car, you should probably plan accordingly with the ball joints.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

So can just the ball joint be replaced? Or is it better to replace the entire LCA like they suggested?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

Nevermind. It can. I would just need a press, duh. Just wondering if it would be worth an upgrade to the GT500 LCAs or something else since I would have to take the current LCAs off anyways. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

If you're even somewhat mechanically inclined (can do an oil change), as long as you have a jack, stands and basic tools you can swap the LCA's yourself. Shops always do that stuff but with 100k miles you likely do need some LCA's by now. Have you noticed the "animal" type noises from your LCA's (usually at high speeds/after very rough roads)?

I'm replacing my LCA's at 85k miles because the wheel hop they produce is ridiculous and I can't hook worth a damn with them. Not to mention the awful noises coming from them since the bushings are shot.

My recommendation: LCA's are cheap (like $100 for a pair on AM), buy 'em and replace 'em yourself.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

Since I'm going to be under there, figured I would go ahead and do the struts as well. This seems like a really good deal, but it looks like it will only work with the Ford racing springs and strut mounts. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....ic-p-1225.html

Otherwise, I may just go with the basic Koni struts.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The FR3 dampers ride like ***. The Koni STR.Ts drive better, don't make your teeth rattle *AND* have a lifetime warranty.... and they cost less too.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
If you're even somewhat mechanically inclined (can do an oil change), as long as you have a jack, stands and basic tools you can swap the LCA's yourself. Shops always do that stuff but with 100k miles you likely do need some LCA's by now. Have you noticed the "animal" type noises from your LCA's (usually at high speeds/after very rough roads)?

I'm replacing my LCA's at 85k miles because the wheel hop they produce is ridiculous and I can't hook worth a damn with them. Not to mention the awful noises coming from them since the bushings are shot.

My recommendation: LCA's are cheap (like $100 for a pair on AM), buy 'em and replace 'em yourself.
You're confused. He's talking about front arms, you are talking about rears.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You're confused. He's talking about front arms, you are talking about rears.
Ah you're right. My apologies.

Quick Reply: 2005 LCA replacement suggestions