Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

relocation brackets, adj lca's and squaring rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default relocation brackets, adj lca's and squaring rear axle

I have che relocation brackets and recently added spohn adj lca's. Setting the lca's at the same length results in the passenger side tire being further back than the drivers side. I thought it might be the relocation brackets, but I'm not sure it wasn't this way stock.

I initially noticed the difference in gap between the tire and wheel well, so I started measure between the center of the front and rear rims and also from the rear control arm front mounting point and the stock mounting hole on the rear axle. Ultimately shortening the passenger side lca at least 1/4 inch gets it within 1/16th of the other side, but I'm still not sure it's sqare.

Looking from the side of the car, the difference in gap was quite noticeable, about 1/2 inch. This is both sides after shortening passenger lca. I have not driven it yet.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-31-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Duh! I found a post I made almost 6 years ago about the same thing, when I had adj che lca's. It must just be my car, because if they were all off this much, there would be many posts about it.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:19 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I'm guessing you used the search button and found your own post? That's pretty funny...
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Moose, try stringing your car. Its an old circle track trick for a quick check in the pits. Set your front wheels straight with the steering wheel. Then take 4 jackstands - 2 for each side. Tie a string between each pair. Put one in front of your front wheels and the other behind the rear wheels. Extend the jackstands so the string is about the middle of the tire. The string should just barely touch both the front and rear of the front tires. Now adjust the LCA(s) so the string barely touches (or is equi-distant from) the front and rear of each of the rear tires.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Moose, try stringing your car. Its an old circle track trick for a quick check in the pits. Set your front wheels straight with the steering wheel. Then take 4 jackstands - 2 for each side. Tie a string between each pair. Put one in front of your front wheels and the other behind the rear wheels. Extend the jackstands so the string is about the middle of the tire. The string should just barely touch both the front and rear of the front tires. Now adjust the LCA(s) so the string barely touches (or is equi-distant from) the front and rear of each of the rear tires.
I may try that and yes, i found my old post using google.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You know, it never really occured to me that I could have spun one of the axle tubes, probably the passenger side. I will have to get back under it and check more closely. Is there some visible way to tell if it spun? Aren't they spot welded in place?

I will have to look tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It doesn't look like I spun an axle tube. The car pulled to the right before under hard acceleration. It doesn't pull anymore. I'm surprised it didn't make any weird noises. I'm going to take some measurments from a fixed point at the front of the car to the rear axle.

It was off as much as 1/2 an inch.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

One last update in this thread. I can't believe I forgot my axle was crooked, but I found another old post of mine about the same subject. I also found others with their axle being crooked .5 inch. When my adjustable lower control arm broke, i went with non-adjustable for more strength, forget that I had a cockeyed rear axle.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...l#post12924615

Even camaros using relocation brackets have had the same problem and it's not specific to one manufacturer. So check your rear end front/back alignment on both sides if you have relocation brackets.

I was using the J&M non-adjustable arms for years, so I think the only real negative is uneven tire wear, but I didn't even notice that.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I am going to be installing the same J&M LCAs you have. Based on this experience, would you have gone with adjustable LCAs from the beginning? Are you concluding this is from the relo brackets? I'm going to be using the Whiteline brackets, so based on your posts I'll be looking for any asymmetry.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I am going to be installing the same J&M LCAs you have. Based on this experience, would you have gone with adjustable LCAs from the beginning? Are you concluding this is from the relo brackets? I'm going to be using the Whiteline brackets, so based on your posts I'll be looking for any asymmetry.
I did go adjustable initially and broke one, so I bought the J&M arms. I now have spohn adjustable arms.

You may not have any alignment issue with the whiteline brackets. I have concluded that it's the brackets. Measuring from the lower control arm front mounting bolt, to the lca rear mounting point on the relo bracket, I get two different measurements on each side, obviously, because I have one control arm adjusted shorter than the other. If I measure from the lca front mount to the original lca rear mounting point on the rear axle bracket, the measurement is the same on both sides. Hope that makes sense, it's hard to type out.

Quick Reply: relocation brackets, adj lca's and squaring rear axle