Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

front swaybar with some popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Default front swaybar with some popping noise

So installed these whiteline front sway bars which are very nice. I just have some slight popping when going over bumps at low speeds. At highway speed or even 40 mph I don't notice any popping noises. Its just at rolling speeds when idling or around 15 mph. Not bad popping but noticeable. Thanks guys for any info
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Tighten the end links
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

I replaced my front end links. That took care of the issue.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

I had to retighten my endlinks too. (I actually loosened them, put the front suspension under load by resting the front suspension on jack stands and then retightened) I ended up upgrading to the newer style ones(mine is a 2006) to make that job a bit easier too.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

And if it isn't the endlinks (which, btw, you should most definitely use blue loctite on), grease the bushings really well. Poly bushings can make popping noises if not well lubed; you'll swear it's something loose, but often it's just the bushings. Had a number of Whiteline bars on various Subarus and an RX-8; good stuff, just need to keep them greased up.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 PM
mariusvt
1st Gear Member

Definitely check your endlinks like everyone else has said, and I'd add some blue loctite on the threads.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yea I tightened them (end links) it took out most of the popping. I find it a real pita to tighten the end link closest to the road. I haven't put on lock title but will do when I'm home
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Yep, bushing lube and tightening the end links usually solves the problem. I ended up just replacing my end links with these:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...-05-satin.html
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

The trick to replacing the front swaybar is to attach the end links to the bar while it is still off the car. Makes it much much easier to torque it up good and tight. Its worth it to take the bar out even if just to tighten the bottom of the link.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
The trick to replacing the front swaybar is to attach the end links to the bar while it is still off the car. Makes it much much easier to torque it up good and tight. Its worth it to take the bar out even if just to tighten the bottom of the link.
Thanks for the suggestion

I ordered some longer wrenches so when i get home from work this coming wednesday i was gonna jack the front end up as high as i can and then retighten and if that doesnt work ill do what u suggested. Atleast now when i get ready to install the rear sway bar ill know to do what you suggested before putting the sway bar in.

thanks guys for all the input

Quick Reply: front swaybar with some popping noise