Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

changing rear axle housing upper control arm bushing?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshyross70
hey moosestang i just got my prothane kit from american muscle and my rear axel bushing is too small from where the stock came out of. im also noticing on your pictures, that yours looks way diffrent then mine. what year is your mustang? mine is an 07 GT. excuse my noobness! lol
Too small how? diameter? You are suppose to reuse the metal sleeve of the stock bushing. I didn't press out the stock bushing, i just removed the rubber part and pressed the prothane bushing into the stock sleeve. It goes in from the drivers side.

Mines an 06. Did you get the full poly bushing kit? I don't see just the axle housing bushing listed on their site.

the bushing is two pieces, looks like this

Last edited by moosestang; 04-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 AM
joshyross70
1st Gear Member

yes. diameter wise. it movers around. i figured we would have to use the stock sleeve. and yes i bought the full prothane kit. and yes we presed out the stock one. so is it ok to still use the metal sleeve? another question, do you know if for the rear lower control arms i need to use the stock sleeve aswell or that can be replaced entirely? i really appreciate your feedback man, thanks!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshyross70
yes. diameter wise. it movers around. i figured we would have to use the stock sleeve. and yes i bought the full prothane kit. and yes we presed out the stock one. so is it ok to still use the metal sleeve? another question, do you know if for the rear lower control arms i need to use the stock sleeve aswell or that can be replaced entirely? i really appreciate your feedback man, thanks!!!
As long as you didn't damage the metal sleeve you should be able to press it back in. I would press the sleeve back in after cleaning all the rubber out, then press in the poly bushing. Don't press the sleeve all the way in, it sticks out 12mm on the drivers side of the housing.

I assume you need to reuse the stock sleeve on the lower control arms, but I would just replace the control arms with aftermarket. The rear bushing on the LCA's is offset to push the arms towards the wheel, so keep that in mind when changing them. I assume the prothane bushings are also offset.

I'm selling a set of J&M extreme joint lower control arms. They will work better than a poly/poly stock arm. Just lowered the price to $60, since they are older than I thought. See my other post in this forum for why I changed to an adjustable lower control arm. If you are adding relocation brackets, I strongly recommend adjustable lower control arms.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...ml#post8191105

Last edited by moosestang; 04-11-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Sharad you should be paying me for advertising, lol. But seriously, you guys make excellent rod-end components. I'm slowly but surely getting all the slop out of my car.
Thanks. Let me know if you ever need anything.

Originally Posted by moosestang
Everything I've read say you want the spherical bearing at the body for the most articulation. That won't matter on your car though.
I hear some people say it should be on the body side and others say on the axle side, but based on four years of physics, that doesn't make any sense to me. The motion of the control arm will more closely follow the motion of whichever end has the poly bushing. IOW, if the poly bushing is on the body, the arm will stay lined up with the body, while the axle side spherical will allow the axle to articulate. Conversely, if the poly bushing is on the axle side, the arm will stay lined up with the axle ear, while the body side spherical will allow the suspension to articulate. If there are two sphericals (like a double adjustable arm), the arm will go wherever it wants to go. You can reach up and twist it by hand. But there is no bind, and the suspension WORKS!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Thanks. Let me know if you ever need anything.

I hear some people say it should be on the body side and others say on the axle side, but based on four years of physics, that doesn't make any sense to me. The motion of the control arm will more closely follow the motion of whichever end has the poly bushing. IOW, if the poly bushing is on the body, the arm will stay lined up with the body, while the axle side spherical will allow the axle to articulate. Conversely, if the poly bushing is on the axle side, the arm will stay lined up with the axle ear, while the body side spherical will allow the suspension to articulate. If there are two sphericals (like a double adjustable arm), the arm will go wherever it wants to go. You can reach up and twist it by hand. But there is no bind, and the suspension WORKS!
I think if there's a difference, it will be miniscule. Obviously a spherical bearing at each end would be ideal for performance.

Just got the spohn upper control arm del-sphere joint, bearing, whatever it is called. I don't know how they make these, but I swear it looks like they carve them out of a solid block of steel. It's definitely not a threaded rod welded to some steel tubing. Figured I should install some steeda anti-clunk washers as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Found it. This may be added to my near-future mod list: http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ricals-05.html
I went ahead and ordered this. I can't say enough good about the UPR rod-end bushing LCAs and panhard bar, so I figured I'd complete the package. Thanks for convincing me to spend more money on parts, moose. You're good at that, lol. As always, I'll review the UPR UCA, mount and spherical bearing after I've had a chance to install them and run them down the track. Not that I'm worried, everything I've bought from them has been flawless thus far.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I went ahead and ordered this. I can't say enough good about the UPR rod-end bushing LCAs and panhard bar, so I figured I'd complete the package. Thanks for convincing me to spend more money on parts, moose. You're good at that, lol. As always, I'll review the UPR UCA, mount and spherical bearing after I've had a chance to install them and run them down the track. Not that I'm worried, everything I've bought from them has been flawless thus far.
I can't believe you've been using the stock uca and stock axle housing bushing. Did you look to see what your bushing looks like? It must be torn all to hell.

I had to take the spohn joint off my UCA, it was to harsh on sharp bumps. I'm going to keep running the poly/poly upper arm until something breaks. You will love how solid the rear axle will feel.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=65&viewfile...%20Bushing.pdf
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the purchase! I've always been impressed by your car. I can't wait to see what you're able to do with the new parts.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Thanks for the purchase! I've always been impressed by your car. I can't wait to see what you're able to do with the new parts.
I predict 11.1 with a 1.50 60 foot time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing rear axle housing upper control arm bushing?