Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni Sport Early Verdict - Very Nice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Bob Boyer

Default Koni Sport Early Verdict - Very Nice!

Finally had time to get my Koni Yellows installed, along with the SS brake lines and some new pads and have to say, ride and handling are nicely improved. Haven't pushed hard yet but did take a nice drive over Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga this afternoon. It's hilly and made of concrete slabs, rather old, and there are some heaves here and there to go with a few potholes and lots of nice curves. It's also high-end residential, so I stuck to 5 over the limit and just didn't use the brakes in the corners or while going downhill.

The results were impressive - much less pitching; bumps were handled with a lot more decorum and the car began to feel a bit more like my Miata in its ability to go where pointed, when pointed, even with less than impressive all-season tires that still have plenty of tread on them. This with the shocks set at 1 and a quarter turns up front, one turn in the rear.

Gonna try to get up on a real nice set of twisties sometime this week and really start pushing things to see how she does, but my confidence is up considerably already.

And a side note, thanks to Sam Strano for great service and advice!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Konis, to me, made everything about the car better. Ride is more composed and not at all uncomfortable unless you crank them all the way up (I just did Konis with OEM springs), and the car loses that initial slop on turn in. You steer, it turns. No wasted motion. Or at least a hell of a lot less wasted motion. And it's more responsive to changes in steering and throttle throughout any given corner whether at 5/10ths or 11/10ths. Glad you are having the same experience so far; it only gets better as you go faster.

Just FYI, if whoever installed them didn't use loctite on the swaybar endlinks up front, they'll eventually loosen themselves up. No biggie, you'll just start hearing some clunking noises. Loctite and a heavy hand on the wrench takes care of it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Bob Boyer

Thanks for the tip on the loctite; we didn't use any so I'll keep my ears open. He did use an impact wrench so hopefully I won't be doing anything soon.

Indeed, the first thing I noticed was how the car didn't float any more, especially through dips and compressions in curves. And I'm just running them set on 1.5 in the front and 1 in the rear with stock springs.