Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

On top of springs and new struts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default On top of springs and new struts...

What should I consider? I know strut mounts would be a good investment to prevent clunking and camber. And an upgraded panhard bar to reduce wheel hop. What strut mounts would you consider? I also noticed the Eibach pro alignment adjustment bolts, should I get these as well? What brand would be good for a decently low price? I don't want cheap; preferably affordable, but not too expensive. I've been looking at the gt500 strut mounts from AM, also the BMR adjustable panhard bar. Your thoughts/input?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

So i went ahead and ordered the Koni STR.T's. In the meantime ive been looking at the BMR adjustable panhard and gt500 strut mounts. Should I go with this setup or check in on others elsewhere?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I don't think the panhard bar has a lot to do with wheel hop. That's more side-to-side movement. See how the struts help you out first before you buy anything else.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I don't think the panhard bar has a lot to do with wheel hop. That's more side-to-side movement. See how the struts help you out first before you buy anything else.
Agreed, that's twice in as many days I've seen Panhard upgrade mentioned to reduce wheel hop. Completely wrong. Control arms control wheel hop. An adjustable pan hard is pretty worthless unless you're using it to align the rear axle to the body of the car.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
What should I consider? I know strut mounts would be a good investment to prevent clunking and camber. I also noticed the Eibach pro alignment adjustment bolts, should I get these as well? What brand would be good for a decently low price? I don't want cheap; preferably affordable, but not too expensive. I've been looking at the gt500 strut mounts . . . What strut mounts would you consider?
Get Steeda HD strut mounts and kill both birds with the same stone. Stronger design that's more tolerant of lowering, plus they have camber adjustability built in.

FWIW, wheel hop is mostly a rear LCA/UCA matter, more specifically that the OE bushings in them are too soft to control the axle under hard acceleration. But before you make any snap decisions on these, give some thought to how much of your hard driving might be around corners vs how much in straight lines. It will affect the type of LCAs you should get (and probably the UCA as well).

Norm
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Alright so I won't really need to bother with the panhard unless it's for camber adjustment? Awesome. I'll look into the steeda strut mounts. Sway bars, bushings, and control arms will be coming in the future
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Alright so I won't really need to bother with the panhard unless it's for camber adjustment? Awesome. I'll look into the steeda strut mounts. Sway bars, bushings, and control arms will be coming in the future
Panhard bar doesn't have to do with your camber either. It prevents lateral movement in the rear of the car and an adjustable one will allow you to center the rear of your car over your rear axle.

The camber adjustment is in the front of your car and the Steeda HD mounts will allow you more adjustability.

Last edited by CMcNam; 04-19-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Panhard bar doesn't have to do with your camber either. It prevents lateral movement in the rear of the car and an adjustable one will allow you to center the rear of your car over your rear axle.

The camber adjustment is in the front of your car and the Steeda HD mounts will allow you more adjustability.
Thanks for the info. I know as far as quality goes, the difference between the Steeda HD mounts and the Gt500 strut mounts must be quality and adjustability. Is this correct? I want to make sure I get a reliable set of mounts, but not digging too deep in my pocket.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I know as far as quality goes, the difference between the Steeda HD mounts and the Gt500 strut mounts must be quality and adjustability. Is this correct? I want to make sure I get a reliable set of mounts, but not digging too deep in my pocket.
Thanks guys.
Right. GT500 mounts don't have the adjustability that the Steeda mounts have. If you're looking to save bucks but still get quality and adjustability you could also consider the J&M plates. I have them and love them, but I can't compare them to the Steeda plates as I haven't used them.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Right. GT500 mounts don't have the adjustability that the Steeda mounts have. If you're looking to save bucks but still get quality and adjustability you could also consider the J&M plates. I have them and love them, but I can't compare them to the Steeda plates as I haven't used them.
Gotcha. That looks more in my range. They seem pretty pricey for what they are!

Quick Reply: On top of springs and new struts...